Advice needed!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I'm after some advice interpreting some blood test results.

Long story short I have a vitamin b12 deficiency and low vitamin D levels. Doctors have run numerous blood tests to try and find a cause.

Despite having b12 injections I am still suffering with symptoms of fatigue, joint aches and pains, headaches, itchy skin and needed to go for a wee a lot (although I do drink a lot of water)

My GFR results are 71ml/min/1.73m2. This has dropped from 89ml/min/1.73m2 in 2015.

My urea is 4.3mmol/l and my creative is 84umol/l

The doctor has said these results are fine and the GFR can be different day to day and is only used to measure people who already are diagnosed with CKD. However I have read a lot about how GFR is dependant on your age and that mine should be a lot higher. I am 26.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry that should read creatine not creative!

I have a lot more blood results but I didn't know which ones were relevant. My total white blood cell count is also low

• Posted

Sounds to me that your symptoms relate more to the vitamin deficiency than kidney problems. There are lots of ways to treat these that are not "over the counter" but prescription only. I am on dialysis and, like many cancer patients, we need extra help with the problem of absorption/metabolism of various vitamins and minerals.

Have discussions with yourGP about the nutritional supplement route.

• Posted

Hi Sonia,

Thank you for your reply.

I have 3 monthly vitamin b12 injections but my symptoms have come back

I've also just started on vitamin d supplement.

Hopefully like you say it's vitamin related not kidney related.

I suffer with gastro intestinal issues which doctors have diagnosed as IBS because hey can't find anything else.

Thanks again

• Posted

If supplemental vitamin D is not adequate to increase, your levels

.There is a prescription for Vitamin D. My prescription is 50, 000 units. At first, I was taking one every three days then twice a week then once a week. Now, I take the 50,000 units once a week. My vitamin D level was below 15, so now it goes up or down between 30 to over 40.

Hopefully you can get the prescription too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.