Bowels area

Posted , 2 users are following.

I would like to know if anyone out there in the furmum have any problems with their bowels for like sitting down being uncomfortable or sore or not too much pain l I know I had a problem with miines and it's very hard to sit on my butt I have to lay sideways and is that part of surgery I need to talk to my doctor that's the only problem I'm having

Please help

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can't recall if you were treated for prostate cancer. Irrespective of whether eyou were or not, with such a problem you should consult a bowel surgeon who will be able to look at this issue from a different angle to the urologist.

• Posted

It started when I was in the hospital when I have my prostate removed after that the bowels start to go to sleep and then when it got them to wake up and start moving I'm having problems with that and he says I will seek out a gastroenterologist tomorrow I really think it's because of the prostate surgery hopefully in a couple days there will back to normal

• Posted

So I can look into my notes and give you a better answer, please advise:

Did you have open or robotic surgery?

What was your bowel function before surgery?

What symptoms did you notice after surgery? Please list them.

How soon did these symptoms appear?

What did you do to releave the symptoms?

• Posted

Malfunctions was good I have robotic surgery on December 7th I got out of Hospital December 15th had a little problem with that creating creating and delivering a couple days with that and seems like I'm starting to get a little relief by sitting down and with a sitz bath hot water sitting on it thank you

• Posted

I was supposed to go home Thursday I didn't go home because all these symptoms started the bowels the kidneys everything like kinda shut down for a while I did get home a week later and no relief at all still no bowel movements but when I'm taking laxatives I do have a moment anything else but everything is working pretty normal before I had the surgery it was robotic surgery and seems like I'm getting a little relief from the six pack I don't know I'm getting frustrated

• Posted

Sorry for my delay but had family over for xmas and was away from the computer.

Ok. When you first said you have bowel problem I thought "irritable bowel syndrome" a known consequence of surgery (both open and RARP) and I have some notes about that.

But, your problem is one of no movements at all.

After three days of no movement I was put on MOVICOL. I lost track how many sachets I took, but the day after I started it, I had a movement. Note, when you're told "laxatives" in such a situation you need heavy duty stuff and not the regular stuff advertised on TV.

Also "stool softeners" are IMHO, of marginal value. They help the stools pass more easily than if you did not take the "stook softeners" but they don't stimulate the bowel, and THAT is what you need.

I suggest:

Walk a lot. This is good for a myriad of reasons

Drink plenty of fluids

Stay off, if possible, any narcotics as they make the constipation worse

Eat more fibre

Eat less white starches eg bread, as this only consiptates you

Ask your Dr about taking magnesium citrate. This can be bought over the counted without a Rx. If he agrees that this will help you regain normal bowel function, ask him "how much and when to take it"? It is sold in bottles and tastes bad. Best to refidgerate it before drinking it.

I have never used it and it was not suggested to me, but I read that some folk take it.

Ask your Dr about taking Metamicil to stimulate the bowel AND to keep taking it for several days until you're regular.

Note, this is not a wait and see situation. If you have not had a decent bowel movement days after surgery, find a Dr who will prioritise this issue for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.