Newly diagnosed: book recommendations please?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, was diagnosed a couple of months ago and have started Hydroxychloroquine and Methotrexate. Now I'm starting to get my head around things a bit I'm starting to think about lifestyle changes I could make to help myself.

Specifically, been feeling really run down, I realise this is just part of the condition but think I'm going to start juicing to try and get more vitamins into myself. II'm not too bad at eating healthily but feel my appetite's not the best right now.

Could anyone recommend a book or give me any tips about ingredients that are good to try for RA?

Also, have any of you tried Curcumin etc? Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes!!! Healthy life style in every way helps your body to perform at it's best.

Kale, celery, cilantro, apples, spinach, ....there is a great company called Welleco 

that makes a well balance PH powder as well. Use with Almond milk or any NON DAIRY milk.  Cutting out sugar, dairy and wheat products really really helps.

Best you can.  One day at at time.

Invest in a juicer or Ostager high end blender.

Green smoothies are life saving.

Hope this helps. stay active and positive. Laugh a lot. 

Happy HEALTHY New Year!!  

• Posted

Hi Tina, thanks so much for this, will check out that product as well. Happy New Year to you when it comes.
  • Posted

I have found that carrot juice helps. For many years, I have drunk it when I was sick or feeling out of sorts.  Since I have been sick with this arthritis, I have been drinking more carrot juice and do feel stronger with just a glassful every day.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks a lot for the tip, I will definitely try this - ordered a juicer earlier! All the best for the New Year.
  • Posted

How are you responding to Methotrexate?

Did you try TNF blockers?

• Posted

Hi Tina,

This is only my 2nd week on the Methotrexate. My Rheumatologist didn't actually say how long I should try it for, just not to worry if it didn't agree with me or didn't work as there are other drugs to try. And warned me that it can take a while to work!

I really don't want to end up on drugs that will lower my immune system too much, as I'm a Nurse and I would have to change to a less clinical role which would be a nightmare for me. That's probably my main concern at the moment, even though I know it should be my health.

• Posted

Oh dear. I can understand your concerns!  I was wondering if your Rheum Doc put you on any TNF blockers? Enbrel? Or similar drugs. 

I am on Enbrel. It has helped a bit. (I have psoratic arthritis) 

I do believe that mixing great healthy diet with Western medicine can help. I am curios why no studies on personality types have not been made for arthritis. My whole family on my Mother's side had it. I think it would prove interesting as I believe there are more than one factor (genetics) that can cause dis-ease.   

Tina

• Posted

Hi Tina, no she hasn't put me on anything like that so far anyway. My Mum has RA and so did her Mum, I really hope my kids don't get it from me when they are older.

• Posted

Are you taking MTX orally or injection as if you inject it you can

sometimes manage on a lower dose because it is not absorbed

Via the stomach and any digestive problems can be lessened.

It can also take a few months to work

• Posted

Hi Jay, I've started on the oral dose, but I will definitely ask for injections if it makes me really sick. I actually feel better today than I did after the first dose last week, dizziness was the main thing I felt.

Trying not to get a false sense of security though as still have to increase it a fair bit.

• Posted

My Rheumo told me to start on 6000mg of odourless Fish Oil daily, it does help, only way I can take them is 2 with breakfast, 2 with lunch and 2 with dinner, otherwise get tooooo much reflux, fishy burps, ughhhh, but I forgot my capsules last year at Xmas when we went away, I noticed the difference, much stiffer and sorer joints without oil.

Also take your folic acid tablets 24 hours after your MTX.

I have also tried an elimination diet and for me keeping my wheat intake to minimum seems to help, also when I am having a bad time with flares I give up milk, and try rice milk instead, not to keen on other flavours.

Have discussed wheat or lack of it with rheumo and the results I get when I cut it out, she said it shouldn't make any difference, but it does for me.

Have also tried curcumin, felt it did help, but stomach not to keen too much indigestion, which tells me my acidosis was playing up again, I have to watch my angry stomach, has caused me problems for years but if I watch my diet can control it without medication.

• Posted

Hi Lyn, thanks for the tip about the fish oil. That's interesting the difference in when you are told to take the folic acid, I'm going to ask about that at my next appt. Wonder if because I'm in the UK.

That's a shame the circumin does that to you, my stomach is a bit dodgy as well despite being on omeprazole so I'll have to watch that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.