Catheter ablation for SVT/AVNRT

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a successful catheter ablation to resolve my more frequent  and longer lasting episodes of SVT. I have had SVT since I was born. I am a 51 year old male. I did not become cognizant of it until I was about 6 or 7 years old. The episodes would occur from a couple of times a month to several times a week and I was able to control episodes by performing vagal maneuvers. The episodes would last from a few seconds to several minutes. I had a few incidents that would last anywhere from 15 minutes to 90 minutes. Over the last several months I found that spiodes were occurring much more frequently and even back to back. It was beginning to affect the quality of my life. It became enough of a problem that it became difficult to actually work in the office. I left my left job because of this and after consulting with Cardiophysiologist, we determined that the best solution would be a catheter ablation. I had this performed on Dec. 15th 2016. It has been a week and a half since the procedure and I have had no episodes at all. The Dr. did say that I would still get the occassional sensation that it might come on, but that the signal had been interrupted and it would not actually take hold. I have felt this sensation, but I can say that at this point SVT no longer controls my life. Each person is different and symptoms may noy be the same for everyone, but I can tell you from personal experience, that it does become more difficult to control as we age. The good new is that it can be resolved with modern medicine. It was an outpatient procedure that took approximately 2 hours complete and I was awake during the entire procedure. The Dr. stated that in itself SVT is not a danger, but it can cause issues down the line as we age and if there is any plaque build up in your arteries, then it could possibly induce a stroke. I am greatful for the staff at Kaiser Permanente in Los Angeles and Dr. Debaisingh whose wisdom and knowledge where able to eliminate this hinderance in my life. It was the best thing that I could have done. Life goes on!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you Henry!! I've had SVT for almost 2 years now I'm 23 and I will be having an ablation sometime in the new year I am on the waiting list here in the U.K. But it's going to take a while, it's been 2 months so hopefully not too much longer I'll have an appointment. I'm so glad it went well for you and it helps knowing I could very well have a new lease of life pretty soon too! All the best for 2017

• Posted

I hope that it is sooner than later for you, but I can assure that the procedure has nearly a 98% success rate and that this a very common form of tachycardia(SVT/AVNRT). I will update if there any changes, but as of right now, I definitely have a new lease on life after putting up with this for nearly 50 years. Let me know if you have any questions about the details of the procedure and what to expect on the day of the procedure as well. Best wishes in the coming year.
  • Posted

So glad to hear success stories. I'm scheduled for one in Sacramento Jan 23rd. I'm really nervous about it, but feel it's the right way to treat this.

• Posted

Hi Leah,

You'll be fine. It is definitely the best and permanent way to handle this. They will give you a sedative to relax and a small dose of Fentanyl for pain. They will use local anesthetic on the entry point, that is probably the most uncomfortable part. You may get a little sleepy, but will be awake at all times. Believe me, I was nervous too, but it will be one of the best things you could have done. 2017 will be your year. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Posted

Hi Henry, so glad to hear your procedure has been a success. As a 29 year old personal trainer who's had SVT for 3 years and is currently sitting here at 2am having a SVT episode as I write this, it is great to know there is hope beyond taking pills every day that don't always do the trick.. Just curious as to whether in your years of dealing with SVT, was there any triggers that made it worse for you? Or things you learned to avoid? I only ask as it is a long wait before my procedure. Cheers mate and all the best.

• Posted

Hi Alex,

I know how inconvenient and potential frightening SVT can be. I suppose I just became accustomed to living with it for so long that I looked at it as more of a nuisance. I could never quite figure out what the actual trigger or triggers were. They could occur when I was playing sports i.e basketball, mountain biking etc. or they could just come out of the blue. The one thing that I could correlate was when ever I had feelings of joy, a sense of euphoria, is when I would get episodes. It was kind of ironic that a pleasant emotion could trigger my SVT. I can't say that it was too much caffienne or stress when I was a child or teen, because I didn't drink coffee and how much stress can a child actually have. As of more recently, just about anything could trigger them and bouts would sometimes be back to back, even while I was sleeping. I can assure that that once you have this procedure completed, it will be a thing of the past. It has only been about 2 weeks since the procedure, but I would have over a hundred episodes over that period of time and now it is a thing of the past, knock on wood. I really do hope that you can get this procedure done sooner than later. Best wishes to you for the new year, it's going to be a great one!

• Posted

I had my ablation done on 7/29. Typically, during an episode, my heart rate would be between 270 and 300 BPM. At the time, I was a svt rookie, only suffering attacks about every 3 months. They were severe enough each time that I had to get a dose of andenosine. This worked great but it is a nasty drug. My procedure took 12 hours and required an overnight hospital stay but according to the doctor, it was going to be worth it in the long run. He was right, no issues at all, no more beta blockers.......until today. Had another attack, went to the doctor in the middle of it, captured it on the EKG. So, back on the beta blocker, probably will have to have another ablation because it was determined that it was firing from another location in my heart. I am seriously fed up with this svt crap. It consumes your life. Scary as hell at 300 beats a minute. Anyway, just wanted to vent and share my story. Hopefully, if I have a second ablation, it will be successful.

• Posted

Wow, 300 bpm?! How awful! I could barely stand on my own at 180-200. Yikes. Mine are only about every 3 months too. I'm getting the ablation in 3 weeks. Just want to fix it and hopefully be done. Sorry you had it happen again. That stinks!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. I'm 28 years old and I'm scheduled to have my first svt ablation on the 26th of January and I'm scared and then again I'm not. I know its something to be addressed now then later. I just don't know what to expect when it deals with heart.

• Posted

Good luck with your ablation. Mine is Monday morning. A little scared too. But I think this is the right way to go to get this fixed.
    • Posted

Good luck on your procedure. Let me know how it goes or what they do. I'm scared for mine but I know it's for the better

• Posted

They got most of it, but some was too close to the Bundle of His. He didn't want to risk damaging it and causing me to need a pacemaker. So I'm not totally cured, but hopeful it will be better.

The hospital staff was wonderful. Procedure took 2.5 hrs. The SVT came and went. Stimulated by Isopril. Sometimes painful. But the very handsome anesthesiologist gave me many doses of Fentenyl. Also had to get a dose of Adenosine. Not fun. Recovery felt pretty easy. 4 hrs lying flat. Felt great til discharge instructions. Then I got real hot and nauseous. Got some Zofran. Puked on the ride home. Just got up from a nap, and feeling human again. I really hope yours goes more smoothly than mine. Best wishes!

• Posted

Was wondering how you are feeling. I have mine tomorrow getting a little nervous.
    • Posted

I wish you the best! Hope you have a successful ablation and easy recovery!
    • Posted

My procedure went really good. He didn't find anything serious, the only thing he said was that I have a slow electrical impulse that I will maybe need a pacemaker when I'm a grandma. When they went into my pectoral muscle he had a hard time with that So it's a little sore, the other areas I did not feel. Other then that I'm just resting. Thanks for the input on the procedure it did help me to relax.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.