Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

I had surgery 2 weeks ago and my foot is all bandaged up! It's itching like hell!

What can I do to relief the itching I have used a comb to itch but I'm not aloud to do that.

It's so bad that I can't even sleep

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Those bandages should come off! No physician leaves them on more that 2 weeks.  Call or go ahead and unwrap and wrap again. There is no magic to it. 
    • Posted

I have been told not to remove them until my outpatients appointment as I have pin sticking out of my toe
  • Posted

I agree with the others, benadryl should do the trick as long as your not taking any pain meds. You can't mix the 2, very dangerous. Good Luck! Mary

• Posted

Or use melatonin to sleep. That is natural and works great.
  • Posted

Hi Lydia , as others have said try anti histamine to help with the itch. I had my mortens neuroma removed a few weeks ago and when my bandage came off it looked like I was shedding skin for a few days, very dry, so used my exfoiliating brush away from the wound and then moisturised twice a day and it resolved. Im waiting to have toe surgery done and will have 2 wires in foot for 6 weeks, so not looking forward to the dry skin again. I ddi wonder if it is a reaction to iodine, so will mention it when I have my next appointment. If your follow up appointjent is too far away, I would call the surgeons secretary or the ward you were on and see if you can see them earlier. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hello

I totally wouldn't worry about the dry skin because it is totally normally as the foot is sweating and not getting any air from being underneath all the bandage I'm just really itchy I suppose it because it's all sweaty as it's been on for 2 weeks and the wound is healing gross right ... just want it to stop bloody itching! Touch wood it hasn't been as bad today

• Posted

Hi Lydia, maybe you have an allergy to the dressing or something! You could try to take some over the counter anti histermine to stop the itching. Hope that helps.
    • Posted

Thank you I will try that is flares up again ... touch wood it has been ok today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.