ACDF c5-6

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

I had this op on 2nd December. The neurosurgeon said it was a successful op with no problems. I had this op as I had constant puns and needles for around 3 months. My GP sent me for an MRI which showed a prolapsed disc at C4 that was compressing my spinal chord and causing these pins and needles. After the op I still had the same symptoms in my hands and I STILL HAVE. The surgeon said it can take a few months for the nerves to repair- is this correct!? I'm panicking as I'm exactly the same as I was before the op. I'm not in pain and never have been. I have a ache in the back of my neck since the op though which I think is normal. Anyone have any advice on nerves and repairing?

Thanks x

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It may just take a while to settle but there s no guarantee these ops work hope time will heal
  • Posted

Ye nerves can take a long time, I had nerve damage in my leg after faucet joint injections and it was severe for 18 months, it did settle after that but not completely and now is bad again but thats because I have the injections every 5 months, yours should recover just give it time it's early days yet, good luck with your recovery and take it easy 😊

• Posted

I had ACDF C5/6 C6/7 for the same reason. I still had some issues post op bit they cleared. My nerves had been trapped for some time and had contracted. Have you been given some physio exercises? There was one exercise alone that helped me so much
    • Posted

Thanks Marie. I've been given the holding arms out exercise and hold them out in front. Turning left and right with hands across chest and rolling my shoulders. I've got my 6 week follow up on the 18th at Queens medical centre Nottingham. How long post op did you still have pins and needles? X

• Posted

Onesha, your neurosurgeon is correct. Your nerves will eventually repair themselves just like an external wound would.

It takes time, so don't give up hope.

I always use this forum to ask people if they have a relationship with Jesud. I can tell you that Hr gives you peace, especially during times when you need it in a bad way.

To some it sound foolish to put stock in someone you can't see but speaking from experience, He give you the peace that passes all understanding.

He may choose not to heal you, but He will never allow you to have trials that you can not bear.

I pray that you will find peace and healing in the power that Jesus Christ provides for you. All the world has to offer is temporary relief with drugs that cause addiction. Some drugs do help but there's always a trade off.

• Posted

Nerves can heal given time. However, you must also be prepared for them never to heal. I've had a numb foot for over 5 years and it showing no signs of healing. I've also got a dead left thigh from surgery in April which isn't healing, yet. 4th surgery on Wednesday, who knows what that'll bring. Fingers crossed it heals for you but give it more time!

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear of your problems Scott. Yes it's true that sometimes, like external wounds, nerves do not heal. However, I'm a firm believer that hope and faith can help you heal faster than without them.

In my case, I have chronic demyelinating polyneurapathy. That's geekspeak for something much more simple. It's like a bundle of electrical wires that have bad insulation.

Just like electricity the nerves are short circuited. That leads to the burning, stabbing, shooting and tingling pain I experience.

Speaking in my case I put a lot of stock in my attitude, which is controlled by my trust in Jesus Christ. I still depend on doctors to try to find something to mend my body and provide relief for my pain, but I know apart from Jesus I have no hope.

I pray that you will find something that will help you and that you will allow God to help.

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I hate those electric shock, burning, pins and needles type pains. Her them in the thigh everyday. The foots just numb to the touch, luckily no pain but just can't feel it if I damage it! My kids think it's funny to jab me when I'm not looking as they know I don't feel the pain.

It is the time for miracles so you never know.

• Posted

Oh no I can't believe that. What have the surgeons said? Will you be ok or is this it now?? Thanks and I hope you will get sorted too

• Posted

The foot won't heal. Hoping the thigh will come back.

Hope you get better soon.

• Posted

Yes, it can take awhile for it to go away. I had the same surgery and it was about 2 - 3 months before it completely went away. Be patientsmile

• Posted

Brill thanks for your reply feels good to know it should go! When did you have your surgery? Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.