Uti finished antibiotics still feels like there is an infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last week on Monday Started getting pains in my lower back weeing a lot and knew straightaway it was a water infection (had them before) seen the doctor on wed tested my urine had blood in it was given a 3 day course trimethprin spelt that wrong anyway on Fri I still didn't feel right so doctor asked me to come in with a another urine sample as the one they had sent the hospital was clear ,the doctor checked my sample said it was fine I've finished the antibiotics felt fine for a day or so but now I'm getting that familiar ache in my lower back as though the Water infection is still there any advice please

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,  From my experience with these dreaded things is, if the culture is coming back clear, but you have symptoms, you still may have a low count bacteria that is not enough for them to consider a high enough count to treat...(I know because I am living this night mare right now) the antibiotic you were given may not be the right match to the bacteria that is in there......there are a couple bacterias that do not produce nitrates one being strep b (which is what I am dealing with).  The other thing it could be is a vaginal infection, it too can cause lower back pain and frequent urination....however it does not explain the blood found in the urine.  When you collected the urine did you clean the area and do a mid stream catch?  This is very important because sometimes you can contaminate the urine with vaginal flora and skin.  I would go back to the doctor and get further tests.  I have been dealing with my issue since August sometimes I feel like I have it beat, but then it flares back up again...UGH, I see the urologist this week and I hope he can come to a better conclusion so I can move forward feeling back to normal.  Best of luck to you.
    • Posted

Think I will end up back at my doctors its a pain with it being a bank holiday tommoz and not sure if it was mid stream
    • Posted

Yes good idea.  I have had so many tests done and no real results.  The only thing the uroligist found was the bacteria from requesting microscopic urinalysis, because the dip sticks showed nothing.  It was then they they found strep b in low colony count.  I am not sure if he will treat it or not, I have had three consecutive lab results showing this and he has not put me on antibiotics.  When I see him I am going to say I have been extremely uncomfortable at times, even though it is not a full blown infection the bacteria is clearly causing infammation.  I personally think women who are diagnosed with intersitial cystitis have this issue.  A lot of doctors do not treat low bacteria because of the worry to antibiotic resistance down the road, which I totally get, but living with discomfort that can effect your daily life is not right either.  
  • Posted

Hi there,  From my experience with these dreaded things is, if the culture is coming back clear, but you have symptoms, you still may have a low count bacteria that is not enough for them to consider a high enough count to treat...(I know because I am living this night mare right now) the antibiotic you were given may not be the right match to the bacteria that is in there......there are a couple bacterias that do not produce nitrates one being strep b (which is what I am dealing with).  The other thing it could be is a vaginal infection, it too can cause lower back pain and frequent urination....however it does not explain the blood found in the urine.  When you collected the urine did you clean the area and do a mid stream catch?  This is very important because sometimes you can contaminate the urine with vaginal flora and skin.  I would go back to the doctor and get further tests.  I have been dealing with my issue since August sometimes I feel like I have it beat, but then it flares back up again...UGH, I see the urologist this week and I hope he can come to a better conclusion so I can move forward feeling back to normal.  Best of luck to you.
    • Posted

Hi seen the emergency doctor and was told there is a

Slight infection still there so been given a few days extra

Antibiotics

• Posted

Oh that's good you found out the culprit!  Best of luck with recovery.  

• Posted

Hi, I am in the same boat. I went to doctors last wed and they said I had uti, antibiotics finish 2moro but I don't like it's gone still feel a numbness in my back and at night the pain gets worse. I will be ringing docs 2moro morning. I am also off work cos it was so bad think I mite get a note to stay off. This is my 2nd one in 3 weeks. Hope you get better soon.

• Posted

Hi after a very bad night's sleep due to lower back pain I

Rang the emergency doctors anyway got an appt and was told there is slight infection so been given a few days extra antibiotics so fingers crossed ,hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Well I only took 3 tablets off the new prescription given me by the emergency doctor they made me feel awful I felt very sick woke up in bed in the middle of the night nearly being sick ended up seeing my own doctor who changed the tablets for me
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear that, if it was Macrobid I can totally relate.  It is a very strong antibiotic.  Did the doctor find out what was cultured?  I was at my uroloogy appointment this morning and I have learned so much.  I used to think UTI symptoms meant UTI, when in fact it is not always the case.  I have had back pain, flank pain, urges to pee...etc....after several cultures, all my urinalysis came back clear of infections, blood, nitrates, the only thing that was cultured was a low count of strep b which he said they do not treat unless pregnant or diabetic.  There are soooo many reasons we can have uti symptoms, intersitial cystistis, over active blader, anxiety, vaginal infections, hormones, painful bladder syndrome, urethal syndrome and the list goes on.  Sometimes women are being treated for symptoms when they don't actually have an infection leading to antibiotic resistance, meaning next time you really do have and infection they won't work, also decrease of immune system because antibiotics take the good stuff you need to fight off infections and then those nasty side effects.  There are other treatments available for these other issues that can cause the symptoms, medications, and natural remedies.   Hopefully you get relief if it is truly an infection you have.

• Posted

Hi my doctor has sent another urine sample to the hospital to be checked as my last one was clear but have been advised to finish this course of antibiotics which is called cefaclor take two tabs twice a day for seven days , I think you have learned me something today as well by saying that the symptoms aren't necessarily connected to a water infection , will admit I know its not a vaginal infection as the family planning clinic have checked that already , hope you feel better for having seen your uroligist

• Posted

that is so interesting Linda.  I have suffered with reoccuring UTI's all my life (I can remember the pain when I was a child but didn't know what it was then).  

I was lucky for a few years but now it's back with vengence.  I was prescribed a 3 day course of Trimethoprim which barely worked, and the uti came back 3 weeks later - this Monday - and after more Trimethoprim its just not cutting it at all so I just got back from the Dr who has prescribed Nitrofurantoin.  

For the last 6 months I have experienced a sudden urge to wee - without pain - so Dr sent away wee samples which although came back clear, had blood in them.  I have had ultrascan to check bladder is emptying correctly (and it is).  

This latest infection is after a 10 day heavy period, use of tampons (not helping) and then 2 days before the Uti reoccured I had to take 5mg of Norethisterone every 8 hours to stop the continuous bleed.  Seems it's stacked against me sometimes and this discomfort is worse than my labour  - at least I knew when that would end !

It is very unusual that when the antibiotics stop, for the discomfort to completely go - I assumed it was due to bladder lining damage and I just had to wait for it to repair.  It appears this is not that case.

Last year when overseas I got my first UTI in a long time but in Spain they prescribed Ciprofloxacin and a hydration drip to flush out the infection.  This was so effective and I never had another infection for almost a year.  

Here's hoping this new course will work.  

You mentioned meds and natural remedies - I would be interested to know.  

Kind regards

• Posted

Hi there, the meds depends on exactly what it is, if it is overactive bladder it would be different than say vaginosis....so to eliminate the reason of the symptoms is the tricky part.  I am seeing a lot on these different forums how women are given rounds and rounds of antibiotics they get relief and it comes right back, there are reasons for this, number one, it want't a real infection, or the bacteria has become resistant because of over antibiotic use, or the fact the immune system in compromised from taking too many antibiotics and it is not being replaced with probiotics, this allows more infections to form.  I realize it is not wise to leave an infection unattended for the reason it can spread into other parts of the urinary tract so I am not suggesting to not treat them, what I am saying is reallu make sure it is an infection, it is hard to know and a lot of times doctors treat they symptoms before actually doing a culture, then next time if you get a real infection the antibiotic may not work as effective.  What I am doing is focussing on my immune system, because I have a low count of bacteria (strep b) no infection, the urologist will not treat unless I was pregnant or diabetic, I am not sure if this is what is causing my weird symptoms, but this has really made me relaize I need to make a life sytle change.  I have decreased sugars from my diet, no more sodas, refined sugars, I have increased probiotic intake by capsule, keifer and yougurt (organic)...also vaginally, I have started taking Allium (garlic) as it kills off strep bacteria, I take D-mannose to prevent furter bacteria to stick to my bladder wall, I do ozone treatments when I get a flare up, and I drink pleanty of water.  I am in perimenopause and my hormones are having a party, messing up my system, so I am also taking Estrial (vaginally) when needed....I have been dealing with these symptoms since August 2106, ironically a couple months earlier I was given antibiotics for a UTI that turned out to be contaminated....so I question if the uneeded antibiotic caused this to unfold.  Our bodies are amazing tools and unless one is compromised it can heal with help.  Get exercise, and proper sleep so the body can rejuvinate.  Try to get as much stress out of your life, stress is an immune buster.  Last and not least drink lots of water, at least 8 glasses a day, keep everything functioning properly and keep it clean by flushing it out.  I hope everyone feels better soon, I will say I am feeling better than I was months ago, and a month and a half I was symtom free, then a stressful moment came in to play and they symtoms returned, so I am back working to heal smile

• Posted

thanks for the info Linda.  I shall take a print of the information you provide so I can try the same remedies as I am just so fed up with this now.  

I am menopausal, having just 4 periods last year (Yay!) but no hot flushes recently !

Interestingly again, last night I had a heap of chocolate (Sugars) left over from Christmas and this morning symptoms were defo worse.  

I wonder too if certain blood groups are more prone to attacks.  

I also suffered with soar thoats (strep) as a child.  

I shall try D-mannose too as Cranberry did not work.

Tell me about the stress !   Thankfully Christmas is finished.  I hope you heal swiftly and we manage to shake this off for a few months at least.

Kind regards x

• Posted

Your welcome.  I find it so interesting, I used to be affected my sore throats (tonsillitis followed by strep throat)  I would take an antibiotic, clear up and then would be back then another antibiotic etc, dealth with this for years..... ironically it seems to come to blow after I started getting flu shots (not blaming) but I believe the flu shot decrease my immune system despite the claims it blocks getting the flu.  The doctors later just felt I was heavily colonzised with strep bacteria......maybe that is why it is in my urine.....although they are two different strains.  Antibiotics seem to clear things for awhile and who doesn't want relief especially in a flare, but a lot of the times it is short term until that overload of sweets, or a stressful time.  Again, I believe if someone has a high fever, getting back pain, bloody/cloudy urine things have went too far and treatment need to take action, but when there is no conclusive cause I believe that is the bodies way of saying it needs to be looked after a little better smile

• Posted

Hi Linda, I think you are right.  It's body language !  

I am blood group A.  Certain foods I eat actually agravate my system.  I would not even consider eating or drinking orange juice or oranges, strong tea or coffee as I know it would trigger symptoms similar to a UTI.

Same with processing red meat due ironically, to a low stomach acid ! - it appears it's in all the wrong places.  

Much of the information I read just confirmed what I had learnt along the way, so yes, you have to listen to the body language as it does try to tell us.

I am glad to report the Nitrofurantoin is working.  Hope you are still ok.

• Posted

I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better.  Make sure you increase probiotics now to avoid yeast infection or another reoccurrence of Uti.  I am continuing on my path to recovery.  Like I said the urologist is not treating the low count bacteria that cultured in my urine so I am doing my best to keep it at a low count and possibly killing it off naturally, I find out this week if it is gone.  If it is I will continue on my healthy eating and stay away from the bad stuff to avoid it coming back.  Our bodies are all so different what works for one may not work for another, I just find these women that take antibiotic after antibiotic etc....makes me question if it is truly healing the problem or just taking it away for the time being.  I know from my own experience with antibiotics it is my last resort, allergic reactions and nearly dying from c difficil is not my idea of healing.  Years ago I was one of these people that ran for antibiotics at the first sign of infection and I think it has made it worse for me now.  Again just remember overuse of antibiotic leads to resistance, so one day if there is an actual life threatening infection antibiotics may not work.  The doctors where I live don't give out antibiotics unless there is a real bacterial infection showing in urine or blood tests for this reason.  There is super bugs in the making because of over misuse.

• Posted

I am reading up on it now, I have been taking Chewable Acidophilus with bifidus (1 billion friendly bacteria) but how do you know how much (strength) or which ones to take ?

Last year along with the Ciprofloxacino, I was prescribed a probiotic.  I have been reading about the side effects of that drug.  It's so scary especially since I trusted the advise I was given and took the drug for 6 days (2 x 500mg).  The leaflet which came with them was in Spanish so for once I could not read about it.  Crazy thing is I went to the Dr in March as I was having problems with suddenly wanting to go to the loo and not being able to hold on - usual possible menopausal side effects and I said to the Dr how I have muscle weakness that seems to have started from my feet up as I have to pull myself up from crouching down etc.  She brushed it off, saying she didnt think my muscle weakness was working it's way up through my body but I was more likely unfit and in need of exercise.

What a scary thought if it's due to the Ciprofloxacino.  I assumed I was imagining it and was just getting more unfit.  Things are no worse, thank goodness, apart from this latest UTI making it harder to hold on before I just about make it to the loo and the flood gates open !  That might be down to a need to do my pelvic floors again.   

I have a Drs phone call appointment on Tuesday as the Hospital Doctor last week questioned why my urine test was coming back clear but showing blood present and yet my GP hadn't followed it up.

I shall tell her about the Ciprofloxacino.

• Posted

There can be other reasons for blood in the urine aside from UTI, if there is no bacteria in the urine, then there is no bacteria to treat, I personally think that when antibiotics have no infection to treat they do more harm in other parts of our body, I know from personal experience....I was given an antibiotic as a precaution (I did not have an actual infection) that is when it attacked my bowels and caused C-DIFF. As for the probiotic I take 12 billion and if I am fighting infection I double up the good bacteria kill off the bad bacteria.  The one I take also is made especially for the urinary tract and has cranberry in it too.   Back to the blood in the urine, there could be an inflammation somewhere in the urinary tract, I am just curious if they did a scope on your bladder, and an ultra sound on your kidneys?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.