Anyone paid for private scans of spine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone paid privately for scans to get their diagnosis of spinal stenosis and if so, approximately how much would this cost? I'm talking xray and MRI scan. I'd like to know what my options are if my Gp is not helpful. Can I insist on a hospital referral, I think he will try and fob me off by suggesting it is my Fibromyalgia bothering me but I know that my pain comes on by walking and is eased if I lean on something a few minutes or I sit down; also, going uphill is problematic but going downhill is excruciating. Also, I'm on painkillers regularly but get no relief from this (walking about) pain at all. My late dad suffered from degenerative spinal problems.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Scan only is approx £500-£700 depending on what you want scanned. Single area obviously is the cheaper option. Never had x-rays done privately. My MRI way back in 2006 was £499 at RossHall in Glasgow.

• Posted

Hi red rose

I live in camberley in the UK.

I paid private for an MRI as this will tell you everything I wouldn't bother with an X-ray.

You do need to have a GP referral, however as you paying private if your GP says it's not warranted they still have to refer you privately and some surgeries might charge you £30-75 for a letter, then my MRI cost me £350 at the royal surrey in Guildford.

I know if you go on line in the UK and can find a centre close to you that have some slots not filled then they quoted me £199 but it wasn't good for me as I had to go to London and it was to far for my back problems.

Good luck and let us know what they say, or if you need anything else just ask.

Regards

George

• Posted

Sorry I forgot to say that you have to stand your ground with GP, I had painful knees and the GP did 3 lots of injections which didn't help, I asked to be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon and my GP was reluctant, so I said it was my right to ask for a referral and she gave in, I was seen a few days later as they had a cancellation he sent me for an MRI of both knees before I was seen by him, it showed I had torn both patella tendons in my knees and the knee cap was pushing through, hence the swelling and pain, I actually had my right knee operated on the next day as an emergency on his list, and 6 weeks on crutches and then my left one 8 weeks later. Just stand your ground.

• Posted

I have lumber stenosis as well as other issues but it can cause a lot of pain and problems.
  • Posted

Yes u can insist on been treated at s private hospital via nhs . X-ray vary depending on were u go but £250 up but if it's stenosis yr better of going for a MRI. £ 450 + but ud need a consultant first and that can cost as much as &250

• Posted

They always try to go. U off they did it to me for years . Now am finally getting some where after 1( yrs + and I am been treated by a private hospital via the nhs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.