Gastritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Iam battling with chronic gastritis since March 2016 been on PPI since then, started from 20mg per day now taking 60 mg per day. I somehow always have a piercing pain in the upper abdomen towards the back. Who can share experiences or advise what to do

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Go and see your doctor as any continuing pain needs to be investigated.

I didn't back in 1959 and as a result had two thirds of my stomach removed due to a perforated ulcer at the age of 17 which led on to me being diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia 13 years later.

I wish there had been PPIs  58 years ago but all they do is lower stomach acidity levels which in turn may be the cause of your pain due to indigestion and lead you to developing a Vitamin B12 deficiency.

Are you also taking antacids?

I'm not a medically qualified person so cannot really give you advice other than see your doctor..

• Posted

Hi . May I know do you have h pylori ? .Back in Jan 2016 I had ulcer caused by h pylori .

Even though the ulcer healed , I was taking ppi for a while.

I will say what worked for me -

Apple , yoghurt , broccoli , spinach , all vegetables and fruits except citrus , Manuka honey

I completely stopped taking dairy products- milk, coffee and other. Also spicy items and avoid meat as it will produce more acid

As I feel less

Pain , I start to cut off my tablets . I will be ok for Two days

Again pain kick again with severe acid reflux .

Finally I started taking curd rice or spinach rice with broccoli . If I feel hungry I will take banana or Apple .eventually I stopped taking tablets . I continued atleast six months with this kind of diet . Food is the medicine .

The more u take tablets u will face more side effects .

Even now I face acid reflux and heartburn , but I can manage with my diet and walking .

• Posted

Anytime you try to stop ppi rebound acid reflux just do not go back ride out the storm.
    • Posted

The problem with avoiding meat, milk and dairy produce is that you may be likely to become Vitamin B12 deficient as they are foods from which you can source it naturally.  

Can you eat fish and seafoods as they too are a rich source?

B12 can only naturally be obtained from animal products.

The PPIs will also have increased the risk of a deficiency as they reduce the acidity in the stomach which is essential to "grab" the B12 on its way down to the Ileum where it is processed through into the bloodstream.

Your Folate level should be OK with all the vegetables you eat.  This works hand in hand with the B12.

I am not a medically qualified person but in view of your "restricted" diet I suggest you ask your doctor to test your serum B12 to determine its level as you may need supplementation.

I had stomach surgery 58 years ago so I know a litlle about the after effects of an "upset tummy" and I'm still "clivealive" at 75.

I wish you well

• Posted

Hi . Thanks for your suggestion . I am able to take chicken and sea foods . Consulting doctor on regular basis .hope all is well .

• Posted

I am sick right now I was using aspirin and nsaids for a month or so for my knee, one night I started to cough in sleep felt like acid.

Then I could feel a sore on my right side felt like a hole, the pain in back and down right side. No vomiting but I got really constipated for 3 weeks. I am eating just like

I always have, but during the acid reflux attack in sleep I vomited so hard I think I pulled a muscle, but it should be healed by now, but maybe not. It's been over a month now.

Pain goes right through to my back. I suspect gastritis and ulcers. I had this before but on left side where it felt like a sore inside and ached mostly when I laid down or took a deep deep breath. I've been using prepaid and pepto.

I am giving this another month and if I don't heal I am going to get checked out. Insurance will not pay for this so it will come out of pocket.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.