Cystoscopy- so nervous it's cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

32, female, non smoker (I did grow up with second hand smoke). Four years ago when I was 28 I had a bright red urine. I ignored it. 3 months later in feb 2013 I had another bright red urine and I peed in a cup at work (I work at a clinic). The dip showed trace proteins and moderate blood, the microscopic showed 100-300 rbc and some bacteria. I was treated for UTI but the culture came back negative and I was told I could stop the antibiotics. Fast forward to Christmas Day 2016 (3years later) and I had another bright red urine and it was negative for infection. My doctor ordered a consult at urology with a cystoscopy and made it clear that cancer is a possibility. I have no other symptoms. It's tomorrow morning and I'm so nervous. I'm just looking for reassurance by anyone out there who maybe had a similar story that turned out well? Unfortunately when you google, you don't find any good stories. They all end up as cancer, which is making me believe that's all it possibly could be.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I also had blood in my urine for a couple of years and my doc also ordered a cystoscopy to rule out bladder cancer. Turned out there was no cancer. Lots of reasons you can have blood in the urine. The protocol is to always do a cystoscopy to rule out cancer but that doesn't mean the odds are high you have it. The odds are probably very low. Try not to worry. 

Jim

• Posted

Thank you. I need to hear more of these stories. I also should really stop googling. It's out of my hands and I have 12 hours to go until my cystoscopy. I keep telling myself that by this time tomorrow I will know either way.

• Posted

HI SUE

I STARTED WEEING PURE BLOOD

THIS WAS DUE TO A HOUSE MOVE

THAT WAS GOING WRONG

I WENT TO THE GP THE NEXT DAY

HE SAID THIS IS BECAUSE YOU ARE

EXTREMELY STRESSED IT CLEARED

UP THE NEXT DAY

GOOD LUCK

FEEL POSITIVE

PAUL

• Posted

Had the cystoscopy and it was very painful!! I was actually writhing in pain. Felt like razor blades I. My per hole. But, no cancer!! Just mild inflammation of bladder and urethra. Going to get ct and US next.
  • Posted

I'm a 67 year old former smoker. Scared like you. They found nothing. The procedure was easier The a dental cleaning and I had zero side effects. Chin up and hope for best your odds are greatly in your favor. Your chance of cancer is a lot lower than mine. If the long shot comes in positive, know that I have a male smoker relative who has been doing fine wit his BC for 15 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.