Anxiety over Asbestos

Posted , 4 users are following.

Some one please help, i suffer with Very bad health anxiety also Ocd and have locked on to asbestos now, about 15 years ago without knowing i cut through a 4 inch white asbestos soil pipe, it was outside and well ventilated, i am frantically internet

surching which is making things even worse, i am so scarred now that it is effecting my live so much that i can't eat or sleep,

The whole process only took seconds and for what

i can remember there was very little

dust inhalation, as soon i realised what it was,

i covered my face, and stepped away from the area.

and then damped down .

So scared that i am going to get Cancer from this.

Please someone help me as i am having really bad

panic attacks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It is gernerally held that 'blue' asbestos (which was banned in the 60's, I think) is more dangerous than white asbestos. And even in the case of blue asbestos, only prolonged exposure to the fibres may lead to lung disease. 

As it was a WHITE asbestos pipe you sawed through, and that, furthermore, you sawed through it outside, it's VERY UNLIKELY that you have contracted lung disease (mesothelioma) as a result.

But please go have a word with your doctor .. tell him of your fears .. and let him put your mind at rest.

Good luck

Jo

• Posted

Hi Joeephine, Thank you so much for your reply, i am not an unintelegent person at all, but i can still not rationalise these fears, 

i lock onto something and continuesly web search which brings a hole

more worries about asbestos, i just want to live a normal life like

other people, i am constantly worring about the future..cry

• Posted

Josephine is correct, you would haveĀ to be exposed to asbestosĀ over a very long period of time. Yes do go to the doctors but you do need to calm down a bit
    • Posted

Thank you for your feedback, i agree i need to calm down, as the sress and anxiety has brought on very bad acid reflux which makes things even worse.
    • Posted

You should ask your doctor if he can help you with your anxiety, Andrew.

He can HELP you with it.

All the very best

Jo

• Posted

The chance of you getting any condition from this one off exposure to asbestos is slim. What id like to comment on is that the visual colour of asbestos is not the colour of the asbestos. The asbestos may be white visually but be for instance be brown fibres. The use of the asbestos may be a better indicator of what colour the fibres are. Searching thd internet will give more information. Hope this info helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.