Argh!!! New level of lip dryness

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just venting as y'all are the only ones who will get this: despite a pound or so of lip balm my lips are sticking to the paperwork cups in this motel. Yes, they're more earth friendly than the decades of plasticized cups but ...

Thank you for listening.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hiya aitarg....poor you...feeling for you.I use coconut oil..it's amazing..it's solid till it hits your skin..I use it for everything from moisturing my face to putting a chunk daily in my mouth and pulling it through my teeth for a couple of minutes daily, it's a natural detox too..I use it to cook with too all the time..be blessed, hope you get some relief soon...have a lovely day..😘🙏

• Posted

Fortunately our motels only tend to use glass or ceramic ware as do most coffee shops/cafés, unless one is having a take-away drink......and my philosophy  is, why have a take-away drink when you are out....sit down and relax!!!! 😀 My legs certainly are thankful!

I have a moratorium on paper cups generally so have only had to use them a couple of times however my lips stick to them also and I don't consider that I have severe oral dryness with Sjögren's.

So I'm with you, I dislike them too!

• Posted

Earlier this year I decreased my daily Evoxac from 3 to 2. I did it to reduce the extreme head sweating I've had ever since we increased the dose from 2 to 3. Since the change I've learned not to move my lips at all whenever I wake from sleeping as they'll be stuck together until I loosen them from inside or put a bit of liquid on them. I don't know where this puts me on the scale of Ss severity but I surely don't want to experience something worse.

• Posted

Hi aitarg, good to hear from you again!

This is paper cup related rather than Sjogrens related, but did you know there's been an argument raging for years now as to whether paper cups are actually better for the environment than the throw-away plastic kind? Some scientists have even come down slightly in favour of plastic vs. paper!

I only occasionally have problems with my lips sticking to paper cups but I don't like drinking out of them anyway. Maybe it's psychological but everything seems to taste of cardboard! I usually get round the need by carrying a 500ml (one pint) bottle of water everywhere in my little backpack and topping it up at taps along the way. You shouldn't reuse plastic bottles too many times as the vinyl leaches out of them, but they're safe for a week or so, then you can put them in the recycle bin. (And never leave them in direct sunlight if you're going to drink out of them, of course, as this speeds up the leaching process.)

Sincerely,

Department of Useless Informationrazz

Oh, and a Happy New Year to All!

• Posted

Happy New Year to you Lily!

I'm gonna have to steal that Department moniker & will make myself the American Director.

Here in the States, some proponent of unbridled capitalism a long time ago decided that it was peachy keen to let paper companies be in complete ownership or control of many forests ,,, and we let them continue. The less new paper that we use, the less reforestation they do. And we all know what follows deforestation. (Yes my fellow Americans, we have some national forests.but ,,, we're not gonna talk about those being dominated by cattlemen running cattle at pennies per acre)

I grew up in a very environmentally aware family & went to an environmentalist college in the early '70s. I even interned at the President's Advisory Council on Environmental Quality and the Environmental Protection Agency in DC while in college. So I recycle.and re-use and still recall the 1st time our country grocery had those F,,,,,,,g plastic bags for fruit & veg I was about 14 & did half the cooking & shopping for our large family. Mama & I just looked at each other & simultaneously said "why?" If we could shop sometimes for meals for 200 without those things, I fail to understand why families of 1 to 6 can't get by without them.

I'm from oil & gas country on the coast. All we know for sure is that the 2 kids who drank well water from conception into college are the 2 kids with massive lung & other massive health issues. We were less than a mile from a petroleum refinery. You couldn't taste it in the water but because the soil was 90% sand I'm told it was a bigger factor in our lifelong problems.

I just got back from a trip into fracking (& the even sadder fracked-out) country. Give me paper every day except when it comes to cups! I do carry tons of water, especially in that territory because of sulphurous water, but wherever I'm residing indoors, I want to drink out of a glass or cup and not our adult sippy cups. But that's just me and my gentle opinions ;-)

Did you know that before we're 5 (maybe it's much earlier) we lose the ability to suck liquids into our stomachs without gastrointestinal repercussions, specifically vast extra amounts of gas from all the air we suck in, and the ensuing heartburn & constipation?

Hmm ,,, from the American Director of the Departments of Pedantry & U. I.

• Posted

Oh, I can't manage those sippy things aitarg. Congenitally poor coordination! I only tipple out of old-fashioned screw-top bottles. We're a bit backward in Europe - barely half of bottled water comes with those spout things here. Not surprised to hear about the air-swallowing problem though. 

On a similar topic - does aerophagy (constant air swallowing) exist in the US? This is the hysterical condition (hysterical in the true psychological sense) where the patient constantly swallows air all day long, resulting in terrible pain and belching every few minutes throughout the day. They don't do it when they're asleep, even though it's purely unconscious during the day. It's out of the same stable as hyperventilation. I was a nurse for 10 years in the UK and had never even heard of it. However, as soon as I moved to Belgium 40+ years ago I found myself surrounded by women (and the occasional man) burping constantly and groaning from the pain. It must be absolute agony on the diaphragm and abs. I've even known a few British women who developed the condition after they moved here!

Fascinates me how some conditions occur only in certain groups, and where there's no significant environmental or lifestyle reason for them. Another example is the famous crise de foie (literally "liver crisis"wink that famously occurs in French-speaking areas. It's a relatively trivial, short-lived illness that usually has people off work for one or two days. I used to think it must be what my old Nan called "bilious attacks" - headaches and vomiting which were in fact migraines. But no - sufferers complain of nausea with acute pain over the liver area in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen. Fine, except real liver disease only causes pain over the liver in the final stages, and not always even then! Bizarre. I'm struggling to think of some quintessentially Anglo-Saxon ailment that doesn't occur elsewhere. I don't doubt there are a couple.

Oh well, off to bed now. It's getting on for 2am here but I'm on the overnight shift tonight so don't expect to get too much sleep. Have already had the first call of the night but only a guy with a panic attack. (He was hyperventilating but not swallowing air as far as I could make out!)

• Posted

Wish this darned system wouldn't keep inserting smilies every time I type in a quotation mark followed by close brackets!

• Posted

Lily, you're cracking me up! Never heard of the aerophagy, but we have straw-aerophagy: in addition to the adult sippy cups (I just unscrew the whole lid on water, but we have all the true sippy cups for coffee and smoothies and diet drinks), all drinks in restaurants where you're paying less than $75/head come with straws. People in real restaurants drink their cocktails and their water and their iced tea and their soft drinks and their MILK through straws ,,, my ex is 70 and even at home he drinks cocktails through a straw! (This of course is in alignment with fast food places where every drink comes with a straw.) And then there's the belching & pain you mentioned, etc. I remember it being a big deal when I had the coordination to be allowed to drink out of the best glasses in the house! Maybe that's why as soon as I'm indoors I don't want to consume any liquid from anything but glass or pottery/porcelain: I'm a big girl now and I wanna use big girl glasses!

Americans can't claim this alone & I don't know the name for it: North Amercans breathe only into the upper to mid lungs. We don't fully inflate our lungs and no one knows why. Since North America encompasses Mexico & Canada with us, we've got a wildly diverse group all failing to inflate our lungs properly.

Perhaps this originated in the UK and y'all discriminated against the poor breathers so much that they formed all those wacky religions which left for the New World (well along with the Dutch & French Huguenots who avoided being burned at the stake)?

Hope you have an easy shift.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.