Biopsy in 10 days. Is it always painful? Afterwards?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I saw my GP last week and we decided that he would do a biopsy in 10 days time.  Clobaderm has made a big difference to the inflammation, but there are still two areas which have stayed quite red.  He originally said just to keep on using the cream, but I think he's decided to do the biopsy more for my peace of mind than anything.  I feel if I'm properly diagnosed, then I can get on and manage it.  I've stopped using the Clobaderm for the time being.

I'm a little concerned about the biopsy - he didn't say what type of biopsy he would do - but in all the intimate examinations I've had from this GP he has always been extremely gentle.  Sorry to be a bit of a wuss, but is it always painful?   Is a punch biopsy the usual type that is done?  Any advice for afterwards?  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

yes its a punch biopsy they do. it wasnt bad at all, the only thing that hurts just a bit is the numbing agent when they give it first of cours with a need prick. The healing of that was no worse then the LS symptoms I had so I didnt notice it too much. I imagine it all depends on the exact spot they do it. 
  • Posted

Mine was a punch biopsy but it was taken from hair area not the vulva. It came back non conclusive. I believe it will be painful but hopefully he can give you a numbing cream for afterwards. Good Luck 😊

• Posted

I had one done and the worse part was the injection after that you don't feel a thing I had the punch biopsy as well it was sore for about a week I've got to have another one done on the 23rd because it was inconclusive

• Posted

This is what I worry about having to go through it all again
  • Posted

Hi Cheetah.

i too have two red areas near the vaginal entrance that the ointment really hasn't done anything for and I'm very worried although when they did the biopsy 22 December the gentleman who did it said he would say if he was worried.  I did notice when I got home he had indeed biopsied one in that area,  I found it awful, sorry I can't lie but I had to wait two hours passed my appointment due to it been delayed which made me even more anxious.  I suffer with anxiety and depression since my Mam died and so can't cope with things now so I think you will be a lot better than me.  I had gas and air to calm me down.  They wiped the area and Injected which stung but then he checked I couldn't feel anything and did two biopsies which if I'm honest wasn't long.  I just felt humiliated but that's just me being a prude I'm getting on a bit down.  I looked a day later and was very swollen and bruised yellow in the inner labia but it slowly went.  Wear baggy things if you can as if the stitch is in an area near pant seams it may touch it.  Take it easy don't do much and sit on a comfy chair and be careful not moving quick as its comfier that way.  I didn't wash there for a day then used the shower head near my leg to get the water there and patted with a clean tissue.  It took twelve days for the stitches to go.  You sound calmer than me I reckon you'll be fine.  It is a punch they do,  I didn't put clob on for a week but it started to tickle in the red area so I put some on and it stopped tickling.  I put coconut oil on after a week.  I haven't had my results yet so I'm ringing Tomorrow to ask when I'll get them as they didn't really say.  I think it's better to have one done it does sound like your area of red is the same.  The clob has helped my soreness too. 

• Posted

sorry Cheetah forgot mine as took from inner labia near entrance and one on the vulva like the other poster said its where it's took from that's different.

• Posted

Also Cheetah you'll have blood when they do it so don't be shocked and it will spot bleed for a day but it will slowly go over that time.

• Posted

Thank you very much for all your replies, which I found reassuring.  I've had steroid injections into my arthritic thumb joints in the past - very painful - but it's just that this time it will be in such a sensitive place.  Having said that, the steroid injections into my thumb worked for me and I hope that this biopsy will mean a definite diagnosis.

I'll ask about when to start again with the Clob and also if he can recommend an emmolient to use afterwards.  I do have some coconut oil, but wasn't sure if it was OK to use that on an open wound.  Like you, Sue, I too have a red area near the vaginal entrance that hasn't responded to the Clob as well as I'd hoped.  The other area is on the inside of the labia.  I'll also take your advice and wear baggy trousers that day.

I hope your second biopsy goes well on the 23rd, Gillian, and you don't have to have any more.   Best of luck with your results tomorrow, Sue.  I'm so sorry to hear that your Mam died recently.  I've been through it myself, many years ago now, but I know how difficult life can be afterwards.  Take care of yourself.    

• Posted

Hi Cheetah,

Thank you.  It's been great speaking to ladies with the same worries.  The dr said to not use clob for two weeks although I did put it on areas not near the wound as it was tickling I did that after a week he said Vaseline etc seals infection in and not to put anything on the wounds but I did after about ten days.  Other areas I did put a bit on.  I used dermol after three days to wash with carefully as the nurse said it's been tested on those areas for sale.  It's from Boots and chemists behind the counter area but you probably know of it.  I find that soothing.  How long to wait for your appointment?  

• Posted

Hi Sue.  It's on the 17th January, so just over a week.  I did ask the GP about seeing a dermatologist, but he said it wasn't necessary as he could do everything at the surgery.  I get on with him quite well, so I was OK with this.  He knows I always ask a lot of questions!   No I haven't got Dermol, so I'll have to look at that.  It sounds a good thing to use.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.