Tinnitus and Anxiety- anybody experienced this??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Two weeks before Christmas, so about a month ago now, I noticed a ringing in my ear. I paid attention to it over the next week and it was definitely worse when I became anxious. 

However, since then I've developed new sensations, like feeling like my inner ear is very full, and every now and again I get a type of tinnitus that sounds like morse code. 

I'm going to see a doctor about it on the 16th but I'm obsessed with it. 

My older sister was born with only 25% of her hearing and uses hearing aids. Knowing this, I immediately assumed that my tinnitus is permanent and I'll have to live the next 60 years dealing with deafness and ringing.

It is utterly depressing. 

I know I'm catastrophising but if anyone has any advice or has had similar experiences, please let me knowsmile.

- Jess   

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Try not to stress too much about it Jess..  See what your doctor has to say next week and come back here and tell us all about it.

I wish you well.

• Posted

Hi, Jess. I was diagnosed with tinnitus about 8 months ago. At first, it literally almost drove me crazy. HOWEVER, you need to find a way to cope that works for you. I work, so that distracts me. I taught myself to refocus on other things (which was really hard, since I can't relax). Listening to music, not too loud, with some really good earbuds or headphones also works. Check out migraine music on YouTube or on the web. That has really worked for me. 

Hang in there. Mine will NEVER go away unless new technology is developed. It's due to a very minor hearing loss - no incident, loud noise, etc. 

Let us know how it goes at the doctor! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.