DVT/HRT no one knows the answers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am really confused so sorry if post a bit long. Am 57, female and live in UK.  At the beginning of December had a swelling behind knee, which was red and swollen, GP said celullitis and superficial vein, 2 days later the redness had travelled up leg so went again and was given anti b's, 3 days later travelled even further up leg, halfway up thigh and felt like a string of small sausages under skin, GP a bit perturbed but still insisted superficial veins and gave me a different lot of anit-b's to take with the first, eventually after a week of pain, I took myself off to A&E where they diagnosed a DVT, said my GP should not have left it.  Asked had a been on a long flight etc, which I hadn't so said they would need to do some tests as it could be caused by cancer.  WOW that was scary, he had not asked about HRT and when I explained that I had started 10 months ago, ran off to speak to someone else who said it would be that so no tests needed. How do they know without further tests? I had to come off HRT cold turkey and am on blood thinners for 3 months. Since then I have lost 8lbs, with all the food I ate over Xmas I am panic stricken, is it cancer?  No one seems to be able to tell me whether you lose weight coming off HRT, only that you put it on.  I did not put on a lot but was really bloated so GP said weight loss could be that, but I am still losing and feel so much lighter, so perhaps it is water retention, that is the logical answer. I just wish I had not had to come off and then if I lost weight they would be more likely to do something. I cannot find out whether coming off HRT causes virtually instant weight loss.  I had usual checks this year - mammogram and smear so no there is nothing there, but I am suffering badly with pains in stomach, although this could be GERD. I did have a endoscopy early last year, so surely nothing could have grown that quickly if there is anything.  As you can see I am in such a panic about all this and have made an appt to see GP again, but it is not for 3 weeks.  I suppose my main question is has anyone come of HRT and lost weight instantly.  How unfortunately anxiety causing palpitations.  I just wish I had not had the DVT and then life would be so simple.  Thanks for reading.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Coming off HRT suddenly can cause allsorts of symptoms. It is far better to come off slowly,gradually reducing the dose. In your case,the medics probably thought it was a contributory factor to the DVT so advised you to come off it immediately.

I can understand your panic as a cancer link has been mentioned.  Can you ask your GP practice for an urgent appointment ?       Maybe your worry is making you eat less ie lost appetite?      What was your weight before you took HRT? Are you now weighing a lot less? The bloating could be a side effect of the HRT and is now reducing.  

• Posted

Hi Marina, I was told to stop immediately which was not helpful.  I have seen GP to discuss but they do not know what happens when you stop HRT, although logically they said it was water retention. Which I suppose it is, I weight about 8lb less, but am overweight so not a lot in the grand scheme of things. I did lose appetite whilst in pain so that has probably contributed, I just wish GP's would be more careful when speaking aloud as my GP put it.  I am going to monitor it and have another appointment for 3 weeks time to discuss what happens next with blood thinners etc. Take care

• Posted

Could you have bakers cysts? They are right behind the knee. They hurt so very badly. Therare ropped like looking veins. This is when the synival liquid burts behind the knee. You can have aspirations and the fluid is drained out. Then courtizone is injected back in the knee. It of couse os nummed first. I have have Bakers Cysts for years. They are painful. Putting your leg up with pillow and usinh heating pad or cold pack to relieve pain but must do and rest for a few days. Surgery is an option but tecovery is long and hard. Good luck and god blee you. Check with your rheumy dr. Before you decide best option for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.