Just diagnosed.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I saw a neurologist on Monday who started me on gabapentin. Low dose 100 mg 2 times a day and working up to 300 mg 3 times a day. I have been in pain for the last year. I went to 4 different dentists convinced that the last 8 teeth I have in my mouth were all bad. They all told me that my teeth need a deep cleaning, no surprise since they seem to build up plaque and tartar 5 minutes after each cleaning. No sign of abcess or infection. The last dentist I saw suggested I see a neurologist for possible tn. I have almost constant buring in my mouth especially my tongue and underneath my tongue. I have sharp shooting stabbing pain attacks on the right side of my face. I have a full top denture and a partial on the bottom. My neurologist has scheduled me for an eeg, mri, and c doppler ultrasound. Pain killers offer no pain relief, even Norco 7.5mg dont touch it. Im scared and really cant explain this pain to anyone. Does Gabapentin work fairly quickly or does it take time to build up in my system? I would appreciate any advice. I dont know where to turn or who to talk to. I'm so grateful to have found this support group.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've had TN for two years now. At first I thought it was a tooth, I had to get a root canal anyway and we figured that's why I was in pain. Even after that I was still in pain. I went to another oral surgeon and had the two wisdom teeth on my right side removed and still I was in pain. It was horrible because my dentist and the two oral surgeons made it seem as if I was crazy. One oral surgeon tried to say it could be in my head. Anyway, the pain didn't go away and I suffered alone for a year until January 2017 when I spoke to my neurologist (I have a bulging disc in my neck that causes back pain) and was referred to a pain management doctor. I have tried 4 medications so far and nothing has worked. I just switched to Gabapentin 300 mg once a day yesterday. I was taking cymbalta 30 mg twice a day before that and as I said it didn't work at all. I'm hoping Gabapentin gives some type of relief. Since Gabapentin is the first medication your doctor has provided you with, I'd say that's a step in the right direction. If this doesn't work my doctor will eventually have to give me lyrica. Another good medication I've heard works well for many is Tegretol.

Keep me updated on how the medication is working for you and I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to.

:D

• Posted

Thank you so much. My experiences with dentists have been the same.
  • Posted

Hi there. I'm taking gabapentin and it's a good drug with few side effects. It doesn't work straight away but you should begin to get some relief after a week depending on the dosage. As you reach the higher dosage you will begin to feel some benefit. 300mg x3 may be enough or you may need to slowly increase in 100mg amounts but you should seek advise about that. The rule is slowly increase and slowly decrease - no sudden changes - be patient!

• Posted

Hi

Sorry I can't answer your query re: medication as I've not taken that one. But I wanted to let you know about a fantastic Facebook group called Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) uk X hope you find some answers Take care Alison

• Posted

If the gabapentin does not work within a few days go back to the neurologist.  Also only increase the dosage if necessary.  You want to take as little of the meds as necessary.  The doctors forgot to tell me this and I was over dosed....for me and my sensitivity to drugs....and it was hell.
    • Posted

Im sorry that happened to you. I will be careful and thank you for the advice. I need all the advuce I can get right now
  • Posted

300 mg 3 times daily is where u need to be. U can increase the dose if needed. It does take about 3-7 days on that dose for it to be effective
  • Posted

Hey listen I know what you are going through as I have been thru the same thing after a root canal gone bad...the dentist damnage alot of the phanjewl nerves and pulled all my bottom teeth on R side and pain & burning got so bad...Had an MRI which showed TN. I am on 1500mg a day of Gabapintin,each tab is 300mg. I started out on 1 tab morn./1tab noon/ 2 tab night... so that was 1200 a day. Now it is 1500 a day. My pain is down so low now and it doesn't even hurt to brush my teeth ( what little I have left) Lol. Ok so you really need more Gabapintin than 900 mg a day but let your doctor know that you want to work your way up to 1500 a day as I and it will make a difference. You must tell your doctor how you feel Keep me posted! I will pray for you and I know God hears our prayers because I am setting here sending you this message that I am living proof because I was in so much pain but much better now. Until I hear from you again...God go with you.

• Posted

Wow. Thank you so much for responding. Your experience sounds very much like mine. I had 2 teeth extracted 15 months ago and a root canal done which I let the dentist talk me into. I believe the nerves were damaged during the extractions and or the root canal. Initially, I thought that root canal had gone bad because the pain is so bad but all 4 dentists said the root canal was fine. I thought I was losing my mind and I think the dentists probably thought the same thing until this last dentist mentioned the trigeminal nerve. God bless you and thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.