Feel like I have been run over by a bus

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had my second hip replaced on Monday and should have gone home yesterday but in so much pain they have kept me in,hoping to go out today when I am a bit better on my crutches.Last night I had a red ring around the wound area,they have checked the wound and it's fine,I have had stiches this time not staples.They have changed the dressing type in case I am allergic to the plaster. Had I ice on it and seams not to be as red this morning.The back of my leg is bruised so feels very stiff.Dreading the physio coming back this morning to put me through my paces.On the bright side I had the best nights sleep in months.I keep telling myself little steps each day and try not to compare to my last hip op which was last feb.All the best to anyone going through the same jill x

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi jill, 

that is a good thing that they keep you in the hospital a little longer so you can be monitored - 

Oh how wonderful to have a good night's sleep -

No comparing darling - not to others and not even to your other hip surgery .. you'll do anyway and that is fine --- some of it might feel worse, other things better ... I was, or so I thought, in much more pain post-op 2nd thr - the scar didn't feel right or something ... According to surgeon I had already forgotten the pain after 1st THR ... and then you'll find yourself walking around with much more confidence, less fearful etc. You have 2 brand new hips !!!

Right before 2nd hip surgery (already in OR) I asked my surgeon to handle me with care this time .. and he did ... no bruises while with 1st one I back of my thigh was bruised and had hand imprint on it ...

do your best - PT can be so intimidating, I know ...

be gentle and kind with yourself

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

I stayed an extra day also. It seems like heaven to sleep sometimes. I'm relieved that your wound seems be to be better. That must have been scary! Good luck in your recovery and be kind to yourself!

• Posted

Hi I no how u feel I thought the op was going to be the same I had my first last Feb 2nd 28 th Dec this one has been a lot more painful but I feel I'm getting there now hope u escape soon X

• Posted

Jill, I also felt like I'd been run over by a bus after my THR. I was in the hospital for 4 nights because I was having such a difficult time getting around. Those first two weeks were just awful for me. I hope you start feeling better soon! And just because the physiotherapist wants you to do things doesn't mean you have to do them! If it causes extra pain, then just don't do it. Some people are able to do things much sooner than others.

• Posted

How are you feeling now?The bruising is probably lending to that pain.Hope things are doing better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.