vitamin d symtoms again

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi few months back I was unwell brain fog jelly legs powerless arms and tiredness breathless and I couldn't get up stairs. Went docters a few times he said it's anxiety then went again I said to him send me for bloods and my levels were 72 but I got bloods checked again and it's 52 now but I think it's gone down more. I was taking 1,000iu daily but then I went to GP he said take 2,000iu but it's been few days I been taking 2,000iu not seen any improvements. But I think there's a Facebook page about vitamin d it's a closed group and lot if people there take 5,000 iu daily to get there levels up.

I'm really worried me at moment life has really changed got a wife and son and look at me.

Any tips what I can say to GP.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

When I had symptoms just like yours (with a few others like ringing in my ears and slightly blurrier vision, tingling feet...) it turned out that my Vit D was borderline low but my B12 was the real deficiency!  Could you have both?  Tell your GP that you're supplementing with D as directed but it doesn't seem to be enough to make you well again. He may order more blood work or have you up your dose.  GL! 

• Posted

Please do as Aveline says - get your GP to test both your serum B12 and serun Folate levels as the symptoms of B12 Deficiency are similar to those of Vitamin D deficiency..

What sort of diet do you have?

• Posted

Hello I asked my GP but he says you need to me you've been tested for b12 and that's ok. But I think my dose needs to go up and I need to go atleast to 80s or even a 100 my levels should be at. But this time I'm going to a new docter he's experienced to I just hope he helps.

• Posted

Your vitamin D levels are not too bad even at 52. Probably higher than twenty five per cent of the population. Mine was 26 and even that is not actually counted as truly deficient, just insufficient.  Vit D can drop in winter due to lack of sunshine. Taking vit D supplements takes about three months at least to have a reasonable effect. You can overdose on vit D so be careful. 

If your B12 and folates are OK you could ask about your iron levels. 

• Posted

How long will it take for the 2,000 iu to take effect and start going up my levels
    • Posted

As I said it normally takes at least three months of supplements before vit D levels are affected. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.