UpDate On Guided MRI Biopsy...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday I received my results on the Guided MRI Biopsy performed on Jan. 6. I had a Transrectal ultrasonography (TRUS) back in April with a Gleason 0f 4+3=7. As you all know i have been on AS since my TRUS Biopsy.

There were no significant difference in the Guided and the TRUS. Except they took 16 cores and 4 from the target and 12 elsewhere. All 4 from that core was cancer. which they labled 4+3 =7. (Stage T1c) still capsulized.  The tumor was on the left of the cancer wall.

No doubt, I am seeing an oncologist this month for radiation treatment. Removal of prostate not an option, because of age.

Urologist said I could go either way, AS Or treatment. I thought to my self, you don't have this disease in your body that is deadly and can kill you. Hell, I don't expect to live forever, but while I am here , I can be pro active and forget about the daily anxiety and worries about the cancer, and try for a cure. Cancer lurking in my body is a no,no to me at this point.

His thinking at my age something else would find my demise before

the cancer. Well, lets roll the dice and see.

Roger

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes Roger, I am doing well. It will be one year next month Feb 24th. I have stopped taking the Dutasteride (generic Flomax) because I don't think I need it any longer. The urologist put me on it as precaustion before the Brachytherapy. He said because of the radiation from the seeds, it would cause some inflammation and the Dutasteride would help with that. And I know it help. It is good to off the meds too... not they they were a problem, but just having another med to take every day.. you know? I will go for my one year check up Feb 22nd. We'll see how that goes, but I feel good and have no left over side effects now. My urologist told me that the side effects would become less and less with time. And by the year mark, it would be like nothing happened - and I think he was right. Good luck Roger - I will be sending you positive energy. I will look for your updates.

• Posted

Charles, my good friend, it is awesome you defeated PCa. I congratulate you!

I don't think I am a candidate for Brachythearpy. But, that is my choice of treatment. It is the decision of the Oncologist. I will certainly lobby for it.I will keep you posted.

Roger

• Posted

With your age and Gleason diagnosis, I agree that radiation is to be actively considered.

Before signing up to RT I suggest you investigate the different options available:

high dose or low dose external beam;

high dose or low dose Brachy + high dose or low dose external beam;

or proton therapy.

Then compare the duration of the treatments and the extension of life expected.

• Posted

Thanks Barney,

I will certainly explore, reseach, and investigate all the treatments of RT.

I am not happy going every day 5 days a week for several months, I just hope I can avoid this, but if not, I do what it takes!

• Posted

Roger, I think any type of radiation therapy will work for you. When I was discussing treatment options with my oncologist, he talked to me about 3. The radiation therapy which at first I was told would be the 5 days a week for 9 weeks. That was from my urologist. The oncologist told me that there was a new method for radiation that was a little stronger dose, but reduced from 9 weeks to 5 weeks. That sounded better. Then he talked about Cyberknife. Also a radiation treatment. With this treatment, there were 4 or 5 markers placed within the prostate to gude the radiation beam to the area it needed to be. It helped prevent radiation from going to places where it was not needed - like the bladder and colon. This was 5 visits every other day. That one sounded pretty good too. The down side of that one is that he said it would require an enema each morning before the treatment. Also, required drinking a full glass of water to fill the bladder which you had to hold for the duration of the 45 minute treatment. This was to help hold the bladder out of the way of the radiation. Then we talked about the Brachytherapy. I had to have a 'volume study' first. That was to measure the size and shape of my prostate. It has to be within a certain size. Mine was slighly enlarged, so I was put on Dutasteride (generic Avodart) to shrink the prostate. that did the trick. Then the Brachytherapy treatment was scheduled - and it is a one time treatment. It took about 45 minutes. I have a friend that retired from the Cancer Research Center here in San Antonio where I live. She talked to me about the treatments and says the radiation works. Her father in law had the regular radiation done about 15 years ago. He was in his early 70's at that time. He is now in his middle 80's and is doing fine. So what ever treatment you have, seems like a good result. All treatments have their side effects, but they will pass. You'll get through this... and it will all be in the past soon. Keep us posted.

• Posted

Charles,

Thanks! I am anxious this cuss this with the oncologist. This want happen until Jan. 23. I am thinking I should have done this from the get go. Will keep you informed.

Roger

• Posted

Charles,

I was trying to say, I am looking forward to discussing my options with the oncologist. I am afraid my options will be minimal, but lets go and see. THe brachytherarpy sounds the best, then Cyberknife. The 5 days a week for serveral months, is not one I like. But, hell you do what you gotta do. Thanks again for your support and your awesome direction on radiation. I will say this again....You guys are great in these discussions!            

• Posted

Roger, even if they recommend the regular radiation treatment, ask about the 5 week treatment rather than the usual 9 weeks. My oncologist here in San Antonio at the START Center mentioned that to me. He said it was a little stronger dose, but reduced the time involved. 5 weeks is better than the 9 week schedule. Let us know what the outcome is.
    • Posted

Great info Charles! I will certainly explore that. I will let you know, hopefully after my visit with oncologist on Jan. 23.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.