6 months post op

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. Had thr on July so six months on.we on holiday in Lisbon and porto. We been walking about 6 hours each day. My operated hip aches now. Do you think will be okay if just rest once we return from our 6 day break? Has been wonderful being able to walk so much pain free but thino may have overdone it? X

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tracey,

Hope you've been having a great time. I'm the same as you, had my THR in July. Probably walking 6 hours a day has been over doing it a bit, but hopefully a day or two resting up should be ok. Funnily enough mine has been aching a bit today. I was carrying a heavy bag of shopping earlier, including a v large crab. (don't ask!). Take it easy, good luck!

• Posted

Hi Judith

Thanks we having lovely time and just love Porto in Portugal. Am reassured by your comments. I was also walking with bag on one shoulder carrying bottles water so was heavy and making me bent sideways a bit. So understandable really I suppose to ache xx

• Posted

I think you will be OK but if you have been doing hard pavement walking that is tough on the leg and it will be a bit sore to start with. At 7 weeks I did country walks on softer terrain and as level as we could find up to 4 miles on holiday with my friend who IS my physio!!!. She gave me confidence to attempt  this and kept a strict eye on me and told me how to get over a stile- the hip was sometimes sore - but worth it. Now at 6 months it gets very sore if I do what I call standing around shopping for more than an hour - I think the hard ground is a killer.
    • Posted

Hi Homey

Thanks for your words. We were walking on cobbles lot so hard going. And I had heavy bag of water on my shoulder too. Sometimes think should be back to normal by now but have read can take up to year to get back to normal x

• Posted

Sorry predictive text -meant Jomary x
  • Posted

Hi Tracey well done with holiday and walking !!

I am 6 months post RHR too - think you have just overdone it that's all. I still get tired when I go mad doing lots so take a chill day and enjoy your holiday! Julie UK

🍸

• Posted

Thanks Julie

Taking open top bus today so less walking. Going on a Port tasting tour in Porto Portugal so will be a tough day !!! Well you have to show willing don't you!!!smile xx

• Posted

Hi Tracey.Think it's your body's feedback mechanism saying that's enough . Our body each has a limit and you reached yours.You could probably of gotton away with if for 1 -6 hour hike,but not 2 consecutive days.Sounds like you need a vacation from your vacation . Take it easy😉🌷

• Posted

Good idea to take another holiday but not sure my employer would agree! !! X
  • Posted

bom dia tracey, 

wow girl, that is darn good --- not the achy feeling of course, but walking around the cities for 6 hours ?  you think you overdid it?

uneven road, carrying water etc. is tiring even with perfectly healthy hips and decades younger ... 

be careful today during port tasting ... mind the sneeky  little steps (cellars), watch your balance and all that ... but enjoy ... oh, and don't forget to eat ...

Big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Yep Renee definitely overdid it but was so much to see.

Will take care on steps today. To be honest not that keen on Port so no danger of getting tipsy! !

Back home tomorrow to the UK but seen to have timed it right to have missed snow been around 14c here and lovely and sunny xx

• Posted

I love Oporto and Lisbon ...

Worked as a pioneer person in 1973 to develop tourism to Portugal .. mainly Algarve and later Lisbon and Oporto ...charters from Amsterdam to Faro ... 

Oh dear Lord, sometimes I wonder if we have done them a favor ...

enjoy the afternoon

ate a vista

• Posted

These days there are plenty of people WITHOUT a replaced hip who couldn't walk for six hours in a day! If it only aches, don't worry. You've just pushed a bit over the boundary. But if you went much too far you'd know about it, and sometimes we just have to test out those boundaries! But once you've rested it a bit, those muscles obviously still have some strengthening to do, so it's back to the exercises.

I'm not able to walk very far due to another issue, but am finding that aerobic stepping is really working well on strengthening the hip muscles, so you might try that. And the good thing is its an exercise that you can do for a few minutes wherever there's a step!

• Posted

I'm celebrating my six month anniversary too biggrin  Six hours is amazing.  Most I have done is two hours countryside walk with a few hills and uneven ground.  Trying to do this every week.  I definitely cannot carry anything without my hip letting me know about it.  Good excuse for hubby to carry all the groceries etc.

Have a few days rest and you should be fine - take care X 

• Posted

It's really nice hearing you folks at 6 months doing well.I just walked down my driveway and 1/2 way across the street and back again.I did quite a bit of walking on Thursday.I start with Physical therapy tomorrow.Looking foward to it.Im dad that the PT I used to see moved to a different state.I will really miss her.I am looking foward to starting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.