liver ultrasound says cirrhosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

liver blood test is fine but liver ultrasound says cirrhosis.

please let me know whether i have cirrshosis or not,

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Blood tests do not prove or disprove cirrhosis. The only way to check is by abdominal ultrasound. Ultrasound trumps blood tests every time.

Is it alcoholic cirrhosis or hepatitis? Your next stop should be an appointment with the gastro consultant.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

Could you explain me why boold tests don't prove cirrhosis?

• Posted

Blood tests show what is happening to the liver at that time.

So for example. An alcoholic who gives up alcohol for a year, will have good blood tests. perhaps showing as normal, even though he has cirrhosis.

Someone that is a party drinker only, might go on a weekend bender, have a blood test on Monday and it will show bad (or high) blood test results. Even though he does not have cirrhosis, because he is not a regular drinker.

Blood tests are usually a snapshot.

• Posted

Thanks for your kind reply,

currently, blood tests are okay, but Ultrasound test showed me I have cirrhosis.

I was alchol-holic, and I am guessing I had this cirrhosis because of drinking.

So, I stopped drinking for a year.

Now, what can I do to cure cirrhosis? Is it possible to cure my liver 100% perfectly? and how long can you live with cirrhosis of the liver? smile

• Posted

*** how long can I live with cirrhosis of the liver
    • Posted

Depends how bad it is and whether you give up drinking or not. Most alcohol dependent drinkers never give up alcohol and for that reason, doctors really avoid the subject.

If you do give up, the prognosis is actually quite good. Once cirrhosis has happened, the liver cannot recover that, but if left alone from alcohol, the liver can quite happily keep functioning.

Now that you have had the scan (I'm assuming NHS at a hospital) you  should be referred to a gastro and he should go through the results of the scan with you.

The liver damage stages are, fatty liver, fibrosis, cirhosis and cirrhosis is divided into three sub categories. Child-Pugh A, B and C.

But basically, if you're not at the latter stages and you stop drinking, you're not going to die any time soon. But you do need to see a gastro, because there can be other complications that might require medication, such as oesophageal varices. It really does depend on what the scan shows, there are many other things to consider as well, but without the scan and your medical history, it would all be a guess.

Get to see the gastro and ask questions (prepare them and write them down), don't just sit there and listen and then walk out with unanswered questions.

• Posted

Thanks for your clear answer. 

All the best,

• Posted

I was dx last year with liver cirrhosis, my first  conslt with GI will be on the 30th of this month. They found my cirrhosis in blood test after Harvoni tx for Hep C 01/2016.  I was cleared Hep C free, but then dx with cirrhosis. So far only had  banding done every three to four months.  Once I get some info or links I will share info.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.