tapering off by Spring!

Posted , 4 users are following.

After suffering a nervous breakdown in early 2016 and trying various meds subscribed by various docs, I finally found a combination which worked.

In Sept I was put on ven, and ramped up to 225 within about 3 weeks along with 15 mirt for sleeping (California rocket fuel (slang)).

Although my mood lifted, I became lethargic and not bothered about anything unledd it was urgent.

At Christmas I dropped to 150 ven with no problem and felt better, 2 weeks later I dropped to 75, but suffered bad sleep and night sweats, so I went back to 150 for now. My doc knows I'm reducing and I'm to call him if I get  a problem.

I'm keen to be med free by spring or early summer, as I'm dealing with the issues which caused the breakdown and ensuring that they won't return, and I feel much better with it being a new year and making a fresh start.

I'm going to try reducing again soon, can anyone advise how long the sweats might last? I had no other bad reaction.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with MDD with psychosis in July 2015. It was treatment resistant and my psychiatrist finally found the meds that worked for me. Since July 2015 I have been taking 300G venlafaxine and 15 mg mirtazapine. I am happier than I"ve been in years and sleeping better. California rocket fuel has given me my life back. I hope everything works out well for you.

Take care.

• Posted

So pleased for you Phyllis, I agree california rocket fuel is amazing! It's such a pity that sufferer's have to try several AD's before they get the combo. Wishing you continued good health ???

• Posted

Hi Rodders

I the sweats are a nightmare! But if you reduce slowly you can avoid them for the best part. Are you on the slow release ven? Your drops in ven have been quite large and speedy. I love your motivation and approach. I'm 100% a member of the Spring club!

????

• Posted

I take it you are on the modified release tablets, why not just come down by 37.5mg instead of 75mg discuss with your GP worked for me
    • Posted

Hi Karen, I have asked for 37.5 tablets today, mine are 75.

How long did it take you to taper off completely?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.