Gabapentin,the Devils concoction

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 64 and always been active and fairly healthy,I was suffering with back pain and full thickness tear in my shoulder,so in October 2016 my doctor put me on Gabapentin and soon increased it to three 300mg capsules three times a day(2700 mg a day) at first I had no broblems at all and the relief from pain was great.

Then in December I started having Panic/Anxiety attacks very badly,to the point I thought my time had come. I was afraid to eat or drink or sleep and literally I was living outside as thats the only thing I could stand.

I decided a couple of weeks ago after reading of the side effects of Gabapentin causing what I was suffering that I had to stop taking them,so I now know that I dropped the dosage down three capsules a day over three days as way too fast,but I needed to be off them as quick as possible.

I have gone through hell,and eventually got back to my Doctor and explained everything and she says that I came off them way too fast and should go back on them and come off slowly ,which I refused as I feel better without them,so now I am on Diazapam which is helping as I am at least eating,drinking and just about getting some sleep now,but I still need to be outdoors as much as possible,and at the moment I' m walking about 12 to 13 miles a day just to occupy myself.

I'm getting there but I feel Gapapentin should come with it's own health warning.

I will suffer my pains rather than take anything like this ever again,at least it's preferable to the effects of Gabapentin.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Good for you! I totally agree about living with the pain rather than taking this poison!

I am so glad to be off of this; I feel so much better! I too suffer panic attacks; I know what you mean about needing to be outdoors!

I would fling my door open in the middle of winter! I needed to be out! In the summers I would walk back and forth in my yard; trying to feel like I could breathe. I knew I could but when you are in that state it is hard to feel like you can!

Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon without all of the terrible drugs!

• Posted

sorry hear about your bad experience with gabapentin,i have been on it 2 years only 300mg in evening for nerve pain its been alife saver,maybe your dosage was way to high thats why you experienced bad side effects,my neurologist told me go no higher than 600mg to avoid side effects
  • Posted

Today my doctor has prescribed pregabalin (lyrica)to replace the gabapentin and I am hoping a staged withdrawal from gabapentin will work, but he has also doubled my fentanyl(matrifen) patch to 25mg so I could become a complete junkie and still be in pain. 

My outdoor life is becoming a distant memory but I have a pony and trap waiting for me to enjoy again and three very confused dogs! 

i totally agree that the doctors don't seem to have a clue about the effects of this drug, but I'm confident my own doctor is listening to me and helping in every way he can. 

• Posted

I think(hope)that I am one of the extremely lucky ones at coming off this horrible drug,I know I came off it far too fast but I am so glad I did,the walking is really helping and if I carry on like this I think at least if my head is not clear soon at least I'll be as fit as a Butcher's dog

• Posted

A very bad day Thursday, Anxiety attack kicked in at an unbelievable level.

So bad I ended up at the Hospital,hyper ventalating so bad my entire body felt as if I were electrified with chest pains so bad I really thought I was dying( put on ECG machine)could not stop crying(so embarresing) Took about two hours to calm

me down,eventually they managed to get me on Diazapam which further helped,but now feeling so weak.

Two Diazapam late last night got me almost three hours sleep and it was much to cold to go walkabout,so still trying and have an appointment Monday with a a support group to see if they can help.

• Posted

Good for you !!!!! You should be very proud of yourself. Going through some gab issues myself and needing to get off. I'm on a similar dose but my addictive personality just let me keep popping them. And the stuff doesn't even do much more at higher doses!!!! It does however interact with my clonazepam 😬😬 cheers to you !!

• Posted

Hi Adrian I feel your pain been trying to get off gabapentin 6 months now my doctors had no idea about addiction issues so they were no use yes the devils tablet I got down from 900mg to half tablet morning and night now just 3 days ago I have stopped thought as such a low does would be ok was I wrong anxiety no sleep sick hot cold I too was hospitalised at one point with anxiety which I had never suffered before and panic attacks I am still the shell of the person I was but husband tells me I am slowly coming back.so good luck to you take your time u will get there just never feels like u Will Gabapentin should come with its own health warning

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.