KNEE REVISION

Posted , 4 users are following.

At last after 2 years and 3 months I am going back in 6th Feb to have a knee revision as apparently the scan showed the prosthesis was too small.

I know this is a more complex operation this time and there is more chance of my leg breaking.

Has anyone else had a knee revision?

How long was the healing process compared to the original TKR?

They've said I will be in 5-7 days.

I've split with my partner recently. I know I will have carers coming in at first for hygiene reasons.

I'm hoping to hire someone to make food and do a bit of cleaning. Will I get any funding help with this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Christine- I had a revision on Nov 28th, i was in the hospital 3 days. Because i knew what to expect i found it easier. The pain is worse with revision so you have to stay on top of that. They did not break my bone when they went in, i do have a metal rod in femor and one in my tibia.  My husband stayed home with me a week and then he had to go back to work.  I was able to do for myself during the day, i was only using the walker for 4 days then cain for maybe 2 weeks then now nothing. I had a nurse coming in at first for wound care and PT came in.  You will do fine. Good Luck and heal fast.
    • Posted

Thank you April. 

I had a call today from occupational therapist to see what I will need. I already have a portable commode chair and a shower seat, which I think could be something more stable/ grab rails, new seat etc.

did they put the metal rods in your femur and tibia during revision or were they there beforehand? 

I also have nerve pain in my knees which will never go since my bike accident. I have morphine patches and gabapentin for pain but I've been on them 3 years now that I don't feel a difference.

i hope this revision helps more with pain when recovered.

everything is crossed 

• Posted

The metal rods were put in during surgery, it is for reenforcment.., I also had a grab bar put in bath tub, i went to Lowles and it is the kind that has suction cups, real easy to put on.  Yes after surgery i used bedside camode. also after surgery you might have a drain put on you and they will take that out before you so home.  For preop anethesia i choice to have epidural and a femor block this helps ALOT for the first 16 hours.  They also had me in a straight knee brace for a couple of days, that helps your knee to come out straight. In the hospital after the 16 hours i was on dilaudid and oxycontin.  I am praying for your fast recovery.
    • Posted

Hi April, yes I am having spinal block and epidural as before with light anaesthetic. The noise sounds like someone putting a kitchen together lol. I also had a straight knee brace, then a bendy one. Meds are usually more morphine as I have patches now plus oramorph when needed and gabapentin. 900 mg three times a day,

how did you find walking with the metal rods in your legs? Was it easier the first time?

• Posted

I think i have more noise in my knee with the metal, and one leg is heavier than the other, and you will find that the incision is very large. The metal really does not bother me. I also was put on Lyrica after for the nerve pain and 2 asprin 325mg for 6 weeks as a blood thinner.  I was completly out for my surgery
    • Posted

I'm dreading it now. I still have nerve pain after 3 years. Will it ever go away?

I'm also worried how I will cope in the bathroom or the kitchen or even letting my dogs out in the garden.

2 weeks on Monday I go in.

RTA Jan '14

Gall Bladder & stones removed Sept '14

TKR right knee Nov '14

ACL & LCL April '16

Lump removed from voice box Dec '16

Op to have 6th Feb 17 - Right knee revision

• Posted

Hello Christine you have to have positive outlook on this it really does matter. you will have your walker so you can let the dogs out, just make sure everything is so you can reach it.  For the first week or so see if you can get family or a friend to help you out.  I did not have a big appitite after so i just ate yogart and soup. Make sure you have a ice machine for your knee or ice packs.  I know you will do well and if you need to talk i am always here.   Hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.