gabapentin and nervousness/edgy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys 

Ive been taking gabapentin for around 6 months now and allthough they work for the nerve pain ( 3 slipped discs ) lately ive been feeling edgy when out ...one example of this is when im waiting in a cue i need to hold on to something as i start getting shakey 

now ive told my doctor this and she thinks it could be to do with 

1) side effects of gabapentin or

2) my previous methadone addiction 

or it could be to do with a mixture of the two .... even though i finished my methadone taper 5 months ago ( clean for 5 months ) she thinks it could be the brain readjusting and the gabapentin affecting this 

the edginess and nervousness are only a problem when im out ...and are not there when at home 

ive never been scared of going out ,so i cant see it being a phobia 

however she has prescribed me pregablin but asked me to continue pregablin while i get used to another med for my nerve pain ( namely celebrex ) so as not to confuse any side effects 

personally i think it may have alot to do with post methadone cestation ... i was taking it for 8 years and you cant expect your body to go back to normal overnight 

any views will be much appreciated 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brian

Just started tapering off this and have itching of the skin, restless legs, muscle aches and not sleeping!!  I have a nasty taste in my mouth too is this another side effect??

• Posted

Hi yiggie 

well ive just switched to pregablin ... the good news is the nasty side effects are gone and i seem (at the moment ) less anxious ...however the pain is slightly worse but i suppose this may require a slight increase of dose along the line 

why are you tapering off gabapentin ... the side effects you are experiencing are classic symptoms ... rls,muscle aches and not sleeping .. these are symptoms that gabapentin are designed to stop so thats why your getting them now ... please speak with your doctor as you may need to be tapered much slower ...

the nasty taste in your mouth is also common with gabapentin ... when i was taking gabapentin it tasted like metal ... horrible 

good luck yiggie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.