ACDF and Vitamins

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I'm 7 weeks post ACDF c5-6.

Had my follow up appointment yesterday and spoke to my surgeon about any vitamins I could take to maintain healthy bones. They said they are a waste of time? Does anyone take anything like this?? Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Vitamin d is a good one to take as most of us are deficient and this can have an impact on your bones
  • Posted

I'm just about to start taking organic turmeric capsules with black pepper. The reviews I've been reading seem to be extremely good

• Posted

I also take Vitamin D every day and I have been looking at the Turmeric ones, only good reports about this nothing bad that I've read so far!

• Posted

What is it with doctors and vitamins ?  I had a similar experience, after my surgery I was suffering very bad pins and needles in my feet. I asked the doctors for a Vitamin B12 injection to help with my p & n but they said the same thing, that they were a waste of time.

When I told them I had been suffering from peripferal neuropathy since 2005, very hot feet and bad p & n, and the only way I could get any relief was to take B12 every day, they looked at me like I was insane.

But it's true, I was taking 5,000 mcg a day and could barely feel a tingle, the moment I stopped taking them the p & n returned.  I swear they worked and I have read about other people who said the same, so it's not just my imagination.

Doctors think they know best, but sometimes they don't. They would rather prescribe Pregabalin or something like that.

• Posted

I know I agree. I thought I was suggesting something good! I too even after the op have persistent pins and needles in my hands the sensations drive me crazy. They did explain it could take 18m for it to go if at all. I may be left with it. They said my chances are good though as I got to theatre very quickly..... thanks for replying
    • Posted

Because if everyone stared taking vitamin s. It would the phamicuticals ( excuse spelling) out of business. Most vitamin s from supermarket s are artificial anyway. Stick to the proper herbal shops

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.