Injections or infusions for colitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been on azathioprine for one year for colitis, but I am not responding as I should be.  Consultant has now recommended injections or infusions and I have been given details of Remicade, Humira, Entyvio and Simponi.  Would like to receive comments, good and bad, about these drugs as I need to be fully informed before my next consultation. Many thanks for any help and advice you can give me.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have been on Aziathropine since July last! I'm not doing well on it, so many  horrible side effects! How is it affecting you! Love to hear your experience with it, thanks.

• Posted

Have you tried pentasa?
    • Posted

I am still on 4 pentesa a day. It didnt keep me in remission but aparantly it can help with avoiding bowel cancer, so i am quite happy to stay on iy
  • Posted

I have been on infusions since november for my colitis. I cant begin to tell you how much better i feel. I have my life back and i wish i had been on them years ago. 
    • Posted

My mum had the same thing she was on 8 tabs a day. 4 in the morning and 4 At night. She was fine but they cut her to half that and it came back. So she's been back up to 8 again for over a year with no probs. It's all about the balence I think. You have an increased risk of cancer with uc. But it's only a small increase if you don't keep it at bay. You have to remember there are other risks to like smoking drinking and eating red meat and being over weight and having db. But doesn't mean your going to get it. Someone who drives 50000 miles a year is at higher risk than someone who only drives 5000 miles but it doesn't mean there safe from death on the road. That's how I look at it

• Posted

Am also in the same boat as you with the azathioprine not working and am also on 40mg pred for a flair up. I've also had the chat about the injections and infusions but I think their waiting to see how I get on with the preds and if I need to be admitted. I hope whatever you are given works for you.

• Posted

Are you having any nasty side effects with the aziathropine?
    • Posted

Can't seem to get the dosage right, one minute am not on enough then the next am on too much and it's lowered my immune system, white blood cell count and liver function results was high. Am now on 200mg a day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.