Granuloma Annularae Sufferer

Posted , 15 users are following.

I was diagnosed with this years ago because I had some patches here and there. But over the past year, it has really spread. I am so tired of hearing that there is nothing that can be done. I have ised steroid creams and steroid courses and nothing. I now have it on my wrists, the bends of my arms and the worst so far has been on my toes and the bottom of my feet. It is painful in that location especially. So i have researched to no avail. I found this post online a couple of days ago. Maybe this will be what we all have been looking for. It is a course of antibiotics. I will try to copy and paste if allowed.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There are certain anitibiotics that have been used and written about in research papers (can't remember their names).  When I asked my physician about them, told me that side effects are worse than the GA itself.  I found Clobetasol steroid cream to be effective if used for 2 weeks.  After you have to stop for a while because it is very strong.  Other than that, steriod injections into the rash works well if it is localized.  Did that not work for you?

• Posted

My GP didn't prescribe anything, said it was self-limiting and no treatment!  When I went for the annual skin cancer check-up, the Dr. said could try the steroid injections around the rash, but that it often didn't work.  In my opinion, no one is doing the research into GA; if steroid creams or antibiotics don't work, the medical crowd are baffled.  I did read an article indicating there was a possible connection of GA with Lyme spirochetes.

• Posted

I have had steriod injections into localized GA plagues and they have gone away.  But that does not mean that a new plaque may not show up.  I have also used Clobetasol cream and this works more slowly but eventually can fade the rash.  In fact, I am using it right now.
    • Posted

Don't go down this road, Steroid injections have many side effects worse than GA. The creams make your skin very thin and it looks like old people skin, plus the injections can be life threatening, It won't cure the GA. Try MSM powder and buy a nutribullet, these got rid of mine and I'd had it for over 10 years prior.

• Posted

You are right! There are not enough studies performed on this.
    • Posted

Hi, I have had steriod injections for GA given on occasion for over 10 years.    It was not done often but it has been done,.  I Have suffered no ill effects.  Do what you want, but I am here to tell you that if done by a qualfied physician there is nothing wrong with it.  The Mayo clinic and even other top hospitals in the US state that this is an acceptable form of treatment. You can look it up on the Mayo Clinic website.
    • Posted

I have been using the MDM powder but haven't seen any results. How long did u use it before it starting working. Also how much did you take?

• Posted

what is MSM powder? I've done the steroid creams, UVB light treatments

& now im on a prescription last 2 months.

Its still spreading! Started on my elbow, then wrists, back of

thighs, front of thighs, now my calfs sad

• Posted

MSM powder is Methyl Sulfonal Methane; it can be purchased in powder form or in capsules.  You can do your research to find out its benefits; if not, I can private message you.
    • Posted

I absolutely agree. I used steroid cream on my hands for this condition. Which ive had for around 5 years now, I only have little lines left now but because I used steroid cream my hands look like an old womens, very thin and very wrinkly, I wish id just left it go on it own as the cream made no difference to the granuloma.
    • Posted

Dear bobbly, I can only tell you how doctors in the US have treated me for GA and what has helped me.  There is nothing that works 100% but something is better than nothing.  I have tried many cortico-steroid creams and I agree. most of them do not work.  They are just not strong enough against GA.  The ONLY cream that works for me on GA  is 'Clobetasol'.  that is the only cortisone cream that is strong enough on GA and that is the cream that is prescribed by most doctors in the US for GA.  I have used this cream successfully for many years.  However, this cream is so strong that you cannot use it more than twice a day for 2 weeks at a time. Then you must stop for 2 weeks. Then you can start it again for another 2 weeks, etc. This cream is not for continual use over a long period of time.  I have had no adverse effects using this cream in that way.  No wrinkling, etc.  Besides the cream, if I get a localized GA patch, then I have the doc inject cortisone into the patch.  This works extremely well and removes the GA every time.  I have gotten rid of many patches this way. I have been treating GA for over 20 years.  This is how I manage it.  I read this forum and I am bothered by all the misinformation that I read on this forum so I wanted to set the record straight. GA cannot be cured at this time, it can only be managed. Like I said something is better than nothing.  You don't have to take my advice. I am just telling you what I have done.  Good luck to you no matter what you do.

• Posted

You know, I had this condition for years and years and I couldn't wear summer stuff as it was all around my stomach, behind my knees, elbows and even up my neck. I started using MSM powder daily and bought a nutribullet and have a green smoothy everyday and forgot about my condition, until I thought, wow, it's gone. I have just a bit on my wrists and foot, and it will probably come back again, as it does shift around, just when you think it's gone, but I am touching wood for now.

• Posted

PS, don't go to a doctor, they will either give you cortison cream which doesn't work after a while and makes the skin VERY think and wrinkly. Or steroids, which are dangerous and have side effects. They even sent me home with a very fancy, expensive cream which did nothing but it isn't meant for GA. The answer is, NO DR in the world knows anything about GA .AT ALL( I've been to the top skin Drs in London, Monaco and Cape Town) so they are guessing. we're on our own here.

• Posted

Funny, I just started taking a supplement with MSM in it for my arthritic knees a few months ago, and my GA has started spreading everywhere! I've also been eating more kale. I wish I had the same results as you. Getting depressed. Dermatologist gave me Tacrolimus cream, but it doesn't help. Anyone else getting lightheaded at times, or is this just me stressing out?

• Posted

Hi, In the US doctors prescribe a topical steriod cream named Clobetasol.  It is very strong, however, it does work.  I have GA all over my thighs. the area is too large for a steriod injection.  My dermatologist told me to use the cream for 2 weeks and then stop for 1-2 weeks and then use it again because the cream is too strong to use continually.  I have been doing this and the GA is slowly fading.  In the past I have had smaller areas with GA and those were injected with a steroid.  That worked as well and the GA went away within a week and did not come back in that area.  Both treatments left my skin looking normal. This is what has worked for me.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.