3months post op Tendon repair and transfer, questions Re: Ankle Brace

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, has anyone just gotten out of cam boot and into lace up brace? I just got out of my boot yesterday and absolutely can not tolerate the laceup brace the dr gave me. It digs into my tendon and I can't walk in it. I haven't started PT yet, I am scheduled for this week. Do you think if I don't use the brace it will screw up my ankle?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am 8 months post op now and doing fabulous.  I too had the brace after the boot (which was after the cast).  My brace rubbed badly on the incision and was very uncomfortable, made me not want to walk. This was last summer and having a knee sock under the brace made it hot which just made it that much worse. So I went back to the department at my orthopedic doctor where they took off my cast and fitted me into my boot, I asked them what to do to help.  First they gave me some of the tube material they use before they put on a hard cast.  It's really light weight and does the work of a sock without making my foot so hot.  (They gave me enough for 5 "socks" so I didn't have to wash them every day.)  Then they gave me 4 pads, about 4 inches by 2.5 inches with a spongy filler, about 3/8 inch thick.  They had me slip one down over my incision and told me to use the others any other spot where rubbing occurred.  For me, it made all the difference in the world.  I still didn't love the brace, but I could easily wear it for several hours.  I was allowed to take it off when I wasn't walking.  And with the extra padding, I could walk.  For me, I had to keep the brace for about 8 weeks if I remember correctly, but the last 2 weeks only part time.

I think if you cannot wear the brace, you'd better have a talk with your surgeon.  Your ankle isn't very strong yet and if you step wrong and twist it badly, you could be starting over.  Plus you need to walk on that foot to strengthen your ankle and calf muscles.  I'm sure your doctor hears your problem frequently (because no one likes the brace!) so he must have some other tricks to help you.  Good luck!!

• Posted

Cindy,

Don't mean to scare you, I think everyone heals differently and I think because I still have swelling that may be the reason I am so uncomfortable in the brace. Plus it doesnt fit in my shoes or boots.

How long are you post op?

• Posted

Had surgery Nov. 9th. I will have cam boot off on Jan. 30. my foot is healing well but range of motion is lacking. I have been wondering what it will be like walking without the boot. The surgeon mentioned something about a brace but my only thoughts at that time. were getting out of this heavy boot. I guess each stage of this recovery has its challenges. It's an "adventure" ... that's for sure. Thankfully, I have the best surgeon and physical therapist.

• Posted

I was unable to wear brace, it pulled down on my heal, so I quite wearing it, the Dr told me I could alternate wearing brace and boot, its totally to support your ankle and give it more time to heal. So it would be up to you. I am 70 so dont work a full time job and on my feet. Good luck on your choice but be careful
    • Posted

Thanks Cheryl196314, the brace hits under my foot where the tendon is and also my ankle and I can't fit into any shoes or boots with it on. Dr said to try wearing an air cast to support my ankle or come back to see what they can do.

I work at a desk but still can't drive and I guess I just have the itch to be 100% again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.