I have severe akathesia,need tips on coping with symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been off all psychotropic meds since 2004 yet symptom. I found some of my other medications not related to medications supposedly do not have these risks. I would like tips on coping as symptoms are unbearable at times. I get to the point of just crying. I have a good support systems with providers yet they know little about it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

When I was a child I had this condition , restless leg syndrome and ADHD.

The only thing that worked for me was exercise and I don't mean jogging once in a while, heavy exercises that made me extremely tired worked

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Theresa, just a few ideas that have worked for me.

1 tens machine

2 weekly sports massage

3 olbas oil rubbed in to the muscles at night.

Hope this is useful. My neurologist has prescribed clonazepam and this has helped a lot with the spasms and tremors.

Good luck Alison

• Posted

Unfortunately, my neurologist states he has little knowledge with my conditions. I have both tardive dyskinesia and akathesia. He actually does not want me on any medications at all,however;there is some that is unavoidable. At this point in time I am going through with no medications in regards to these conditions. I do have flexural for when the movements are severe.
    • Posted

I am unsure how Tens machine works as I had never heard of this until you mentioned it. Unfortunately,I am one of the few that the condition is progressing and the neurologist can't explain why. I am very sensitive to medications and also have gluten sensitivity so I am unable to take any medications that have a coating as they contain gluten. My neurologist says there is nothing that can be done and I have to learn to live with it. I am going to try to get referral for a second opinion as the dyskinesia and akathesia are affecting most of my muscles. I find deep muscle relaxation rubs relieve some temporarily.

• Posted

Hello

I hope you manage to find some relief from your symptoms... how long have you had both conditions? What did you get them from? Was it anti-psychotics?

I have tardive dyskinesia from taking only a week of anti-psychotic drugs prescribed for severe anxiety. To say that I am devastated is an understatement. Luckily I can work from home otherwise I don't know how I would cope with the grimacing, lip smacking and other stupid involuntary movements. Even the leading TD neurologist in London didn't have any advice - apart from therapy for tics and botox. Life is crap sometimes but we keep on.

Stay strong and keep fighting, you are most certainly not alone. :-)

xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.