Why do I not respond to this drug.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My GP prescribed Amitriptyline for minor depression which I was grateful for at the time.

He started me on 50mg and it did absolutely nothing. I went back to him and said it was having no effect. He slowly increased the dose over a period of some weeks. I know it can be supplied in tablet sizes of 10, 25, 50, 75, 100, and 150. I finally arrived at the 150mg/day dose and it still did absolutely nothing for me. I am sure you can appreciate that I was quite depressed at this result.

Can anyone suggest why I did not respond to this drug. I have never at a reaction like this before.

Best regards

bobcrachet.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This drug is an anti depressent as you know, it is an oldish medication and is used in small amounts for nerve damage. The use of this drug I feel may be used more in the treatment of various forms of Arthritis,  The dose of the drug generally is low for this. The drug as a AD woud need to have a higher dose, upwards to 150, and sometimes a little higher. I would imagine an extended period at a fixed higher dose will need to be taken like other medications, so you will need to give this medication time to work.

I was talking about this drug with a Trick Cyclist and He though this drug was not as good as others on the market, it was however a possible good choice when used for nerve damage, I take 75mg every evening. One of this drugs other uses is as a Sleeping Tablet, I take mine at night half an hour before bed, I sleep well.. The main problem I have is I remain sleepy until about 10;00am

Allow four weeks for the drug to work

BOB

• Posted

That is very interesting, I am given it as a nerve pain killer as I suffer from nerve pain very severely. The GP's put it down to nerve damage caused by prolonged high blood sugar. The problem I have is that the pain moves about, I never know where is going to be next. This morning it was in my neck. What a windup!

• Posted

Bob

I use it for nerve damage and the drugs use as an AD is secondary in my case. When I was discussing this a while ago I was informed there are other medications that do the same thing, they would prefer a different medication as the drug is dirty ???. 

I am suprised you are taking this medication at 150mg for depression and secondary Nerve Damage.

Have you discussed the use of V-TENS for your pains, these machines are good for nerve blocks

BOB

• Posted

Tròuble is borderriever, I don't really understand all this stuff so I tend to just take what the jolly old GP gives me.

I saw the GP today and he was trying to give me Ibuprofen for some neck pain I am having. Well I new that was wrong because it was the same type of pain that I get in my hand which I know to be diabetic neuropathy. Also I am not supposed to have Ibuprofen because I had a stomach ulcer when I was 23 years old. It's all in my notes, what can you say!

• Posted

Bob

It took me two years to get a proper diagnosis and even longer to get my medications right.

The NSID they have offered you is an old medication and many patients take other medications that do not do as much damage. I cannot take standard NSID. After getting through a long list of medications they put me on Celebrex a Cox 2 inhibiter the drug is kinder to the tummy and in my case has worked for about ten years or so. If you are going to be on medications long term you need to be comfortable with your medications. We are all different and it sometimes is a good idea to research medications and try and work in conjunction with your GP

Reember you are in partnership with your GP as far as your health matters are concerned

BOB

• Posted

Trouble is I live in North Wales and things are a bit wild and wooly here. I am not sure how I would get on if I challenged the GP decisions here. I suppose you can change your GP but if you did it too much you would quickly run out of doctors. They are all locums. We have no full time GP's You have got to laugh, what a sorry state we are in.

• Posted

I live outside a Market town in the Wilds of the Scottish/ English Border and even the foxes wear kilts.

At my old address I fought tooth and nail to get a diagnosis. I never use the same doctor for all my needs, I always check on their Specialities. Sometimes the Locum may be the one to see, if they have a speciality.

You would not go to a butcher to buy a pair of shoes ?

BOB

• Posted

I know exactly what you are saying, I think you are right but we have so little choice patients here just see who they can get.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.