Trying to decide to continue treatment

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a Neu Viva treatment (first one) a week ago. It is same as MonaLisa except supposed to be cheaper (which it wasn't as I found out later). During treatment I experience tremendous discomfort around the end. NOt sure if setting was too high or I'm just too fragile in that area. But it was 6 or 7 jolts that were not what I was expecting. I was "promised" before I had treatment that "it would be nothing." And if, if, I was told, just tell the doctor and he would turn it down. Which I did both verbally and through crying. Youch. And I still felt pain.

I do know that this particular office had not done many of these treatments. That it was all very new. Wondering if they were still working out the kinks, so to speak.

I remain a bit traumitized. I've been feeling discomfort since the procedure. Kind of like a bunch of bad days. Prior those days seemed to run in cycles. Vaginal burning, frequency of peeing, good days and bad days. Seemed to ramp up as the day progressed. Does anyone else experience that, by the way? Like you feel pretty good in the morning but by mid afternoon, burning and increasing discomfort?

?Anyway, like I said, don't know whether to continue. I have contacted another doctor office that does MonaLisa. They expressed surprise by my experience. I wil go in for a consult. Just wonder if this procedure is still too new. That there is the potential for making things worse. Maybe I'm just a bit discouraged because I feel a bit worse than I did prior to the treatment.   

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What does your gynocoligist think?
    • Posted

Thinks I'm very dry. Said I should see a urologist. Which I did. Two actually. Both say VA.

• Posted

So sorry to hear that. We have gone thru so much. Amazes me that women are not talking about this condition

When I travel even tho I had Mona Lisa it starts again. I am going back for a tune up when I get home. Don't really understand the difference between the Mona Lisa in the treatment you got has its both lasers It's all so new. Hope you get some answers. Keep me posted.

Nancy

• Posted

That's the thing, it is all so new. My husband is very understanding. He was cautioning that I should wait until there is more research.

• Posted

Hard to wait when you are in pain and it effects your life Got to point I I would do anything but I was on so many antibiotics for Uris one after another. Mona Lisa has helped me. I would do it again
    • Posted

It's hard to talk about. And it's hard for the people you do talk to to understand how much pain you are in. Iam on my second week of the new yuvafem and not good. Having some bad days so I keep thinking about Mona lisa.

Really Sorry your first treatment was painful, that must have been upsetting after being told it was nothing.  make sure you let us know if you switch to mona lisa and what the difference was for you

• Posted

Give the Yuvafem more time. My understanding is that it takes months to really feel the results. I have been on it for a year and a half. I believe it has made a difference in that I haven't had a UTI in over a year. I had about 5 of them in a row in a 8 month period. After being on the estrogen I ran into the doctor's office a number of times thinking I had a UTI only to come back negative. Led to a string of tests. VA determination. Thinking I've had it for over 10 years. Sex was and is painful. A lot of discomfort. Which got worse over time.

However I still often feel like I'm coming down with a UTI, pee alot, feel like I can't get it all out. This has really impacted my life. As I see with all the women on this board. I have not given up on the laser treatments. I just want to go somewhere that has been doing the procedure for a longer period of time. 

?I think invariably talking about VA leads to talking about sex. That I have to reveal that it's not comfortable or pleasurable. So I prefer to stay silent. Doesn't help that everywhere you look, tv, adds, everyone seems to be enjoying it so much. Case in point:Girlfriends guide to Divorce. I just don't relate.         

• Posted

Hello Donna

Very discouraging that the new generic for Vagifem...Yuvafem is not good for you.  Were you feeling good with the Vagifem before switching to the Yuvafem?  

I have another UTI....ugh.  It seems like so many get these along with AV🙁.  Taking CIPRO.  Hoping it doesn't affect the AV after I feel normal with the Vagifem. 

Afraid to switch to the Yuvafem now.....

Wendy

• Posted

This is my second week on Yuvafem. I wasn't using vagifem before I was using Estrace cream still. After my second dose of Yuvafem I started getting worse. So the last week I have had mainly bad days. I feel like I have a UTI but I'm waiting to take tommorrows dose of yuvafem. I took a pyridum yesterday to tap back the burning. So far today it's not terrible but like Jean says it gets worse as the day goes on. But I am far less comfortable on Yuvafem than I was on Estrace. 

I am disappointed because I hate using that cream

I've never used Vagifem but I bet my insurance won't pay for it since the generic Yuvafem is out. My doctor said it is the same exact chemical make up.

I'll keep posting if things change but for now I am very disappointed

• Posted

Hi Donna

it took several weeks for me to feel normal again even on Vagifem.......it takes awhile for it to work.....if they are the same then Yuvafem will be the same......hang in there, it will get better, just needs time.

wendy

• Posted

I have been on the Estrace cream twice a week since September though

• Posted

I did cream for 2 weeks . Everyday for 2weeks.... then started the Vagifem 2x a week. The 2 weeks really helped.
    • Posted

Estrace cream for 2 weeks
    • Posted

I did the 14 days on estrace to start too then went to twice a week since Sept. Thought I was doing great then symptoms started coming back. So I went ahead and switched to Yuvafem twice a week two weeks ago and things have gotten worse now. I put in a call to my doctor today to see if I can go to three times a week on the yuvafem. I like yuvafem better no mess . I do think the square end on the applicater needs to be round though

• Posted

I had my first Mona Lisa treatment  7 weeks ago & will have the 2nd one tomorrow.The treatment itself was not difficult or painful (however I did take a Middle dose Vicodin before). BUT, the itching & some burning beginning that evening & the next week was really bad; my doc prescribed Lidocaine which helped & I took Vicodin, which also helped. My doc is a urologist & has done several, but just got trained a few months ago. No one in her office had such a bad reaction. The discomfort faded a little each day for a week, but I didn't feel completely normal for 2 or more weeks. The good news is that I've forgotten most of it, & the results have been very good. I had serious problems with constant UTI's, urgency, & terrible dryness during intercourse. I'm not looking forward to treatment 2 & 3, but I will do it, since the results are worth it. The Mona Lisa Touch is fairly new, which is why docs are just being trained. I never heard of Neu Viva, but I would definitely recommend going to a urologist for any treatment. I just think they know more about vaginal problems.  Getting another consult is a good idea, sounds like your first doc wasn't very sympathetic or didn't know what he/she was doing. My doc said she would not do as much this time. I wish you good luck.

• Posted

Vicodin! That's an idea.

Surprising it's still so new. I had never heard of it before 2 months ago. I live in major cosmopolitan area (Chicago) so you would think it's pretty routine. 

?Good luck on your second treatment. Let me/us know how you are feeling.

• Posted

As I read these boards, learn more, I'm shocked to learn that so many women suffer from VA and UTI. That it is actually quite common. But you hear so little about it. I certainly don't talk about it with my friends. Maybe I shouldsmile   

• Posted

I have tried to educate the women in my life on what is going on with me, even my teenage granddaughters.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.