Ear hurts, draining, all tests normal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive had this problem for 2 months now. After a sinus infection.

I can actually feel fluid draining from the ear down to the throat. They say draining is good. But I also will feel pressure in the ear, throbbing/pain around and behind the ear. I even feel pressure in the back of the head!

It is just so frustrating when all tests come out normal.

My ENT doctor did confirm its not serious and there might be "microscopic" swelling of the tube. Gave me nasal spray and cortisone pills.

Ive never had an ear issue before this!! Can anyone tell me, does this resolve on its own?? I feel like im going crazy when nobody can tell u why this is happening.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

Not much advice but wanted to say I know how you feel, I'm approaching 7 weeks on total with a blocked ear (that was a mechanical error on my part initially!) and 4-5 weeks since I had a cold and now have sinusitis. My ear sometimes drains however the fluid goes to my sinuses, I'm starting to feel like I'm swallowing some mucus now, and have popping in my ear when I move my jaw. I've had two courses of antibiotics, the second of which has stopped the blood in my mucus, however I still have the fluid either in my ear or in and around my sinuses. I've had one or two minor ear infections in the past but nothing as debilitating as this. I've only been seen by my gp but have an ent appointment on the 21st march (non urgent NHS referral).

I'm seeing an osteopath tomorrow as I'm desperate, I've even taken time off work I've been so anxious with it. Hope you're not suffering too much, I will let you know what the osteopath says

Catherine

• Posted

You had this problem for 2 months as I had for 2 weeks and left ear is still clogged. Just started a heavy dose of predisone. How did you get it to drain as the steroid nose drops seems to dry my nose out and the ear won't pop. Any help would be great

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.