Vertigo waking me from my sleep!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, my name is Robin I Live in the USA and I was wondering if anyone else has been woken from their sleep with vertigo? I had that this morning, my heart felt like it was beating out of my chest. Please let me know if anyone else here has had this happen. I am 40 years old and have had this diagnosis for 5 years. thanks for all your help!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Im 25 and ive never had an episode start in my sleep but i was having an episode managed to fall asleep and kept waki g up to throw up
    • Posted

Ugh this is horrible, all I remember in my sleep i heard a siren or alarm go off, so maybe I was half awake not sure really, I just know I woke up with super bad vertigo and got out of bed and fell down a few of my steps. Does your heart rate go way up when you have a bout of vertigo? I should also mention I have panic disorder but I get sick of every symptom I have being blamed on that. I do know my heart has been checked out and everything is ok other then sinus tachycardia. Thanks for your reply. I was hoping others have a similar experience so I don't feel so scared. I try to tell myself it will pass but ugh. Seems my bouts of vertigo are becoming more violent and also more often. Left ear hearing loss is at 35% and right is at 15%.

• Posted

U have it in both ears? Im so sorry! Mine is o ly in my right ear but i know what u mean about fear of the vertigo...ive had it hit a couple if times at work and alot at home i have a son who is only 18months so its been tough...im trying to ask my doctor for the genticimin but he wont do it sad

• Posted

I also have children 6, 5 and 3 so I know what you mean its horrible and with no warning when an attack may come I have given up driving for the time being. I'm hoping to ask about the shots from my doc as well. Currently I have a double ear infection and sinus infection and the antibiotics do not seem to be helping the ear infection so I may go back to the docs tomorrow. You will be in my prayers.

• Posted

Hi Robin, I had that full blown attack one time when I woke up at 3 am. It was horrible. The vertigo was so bad I tried to make it to the bathroom with no success and started throwing up. Since that happened last November I have made a few changes. 1. I sleep with two pillows. Keeps my ears more balanced through out the night. If I lay flat the crystals reposition during the night. I also have a small trash can next to my bed along with drama mine chewable. That would be my first choice and then a Valum. I have only used Valum one time when it was severe for 48 hours. The two pillow really helped me. I am taking a natural diuretic and pine bark that are really helping me. Everyone is different with MD. I am 47 and have had this for 21/2 Years. Diagnosed in October.
    • Posted

Where can I find the pine bark and also does your heart rate go way up during an attack? Thanks for your response and I also sleep on 2 pillows. I have had where it woke me up out of my sleep one time before it was awful.
    • Posted

It is awful Robin. No pine Bark is very mild. Doesn't have any side effects on my heart. I am super sensitive too. You can get it at a GNC, Whole Foods. Are you in the USA?

• Posted

Yes, I am in the US.. Have you found the pine bark to work for you? Thanks for your response!
    • Posted

Yes the Pine bark is really helping me. I still need a diuretic and I am taking dandelion pill twice a day. You can get a prescription diuretic but it really makes me dizzy so I went with a natural one. Much better on my sensitive system. I used horsetail as well. Both really help with ringing in my ear and fullness. Also pine bark is helping with the strange dizzy feeling during the day. I take benedryl at bed time and Claritin for allergies. I am feeling a lot better.
    • Posted

Do you buy the horsetail at GNC or whole foods? The doc also prescribed me a diuretic but to be honest after I read about it it has me scared to take it. This may be a silly question but what do you take the dandelion supplement for? are we allowed to connect thru Fb on here? After I have a vertigo attack I feel off balance for days, I have fullness in my ears a lot but the ringing only sometimes and mostly before an attack.
    • Posted

Hi, my name is Paul. I had exactly this the other week. Woken up by an attack during early hours of the morning. Same as u I tried. To get to the bathroom but fell over in the process. I have been told I suffer from severe migraines which have the same symptoms as meniaires. My attacks are becoming more frequent and stronger every time. I'm on medication for these attacks but don't seem to stop them happening. I feel your pain and hope you recover well.

• Posted

Dear Robin,

I haven't had them recently, but in my worst days, I absolutely did have vertigo episodes at night:  I would be awakened by the  very strong sensation that  I was falling out of bed!  When I opened my eyes, the room would be spinning and I would get so very, very sick.  If I could, I would belly-crawl to the bathroom and spend the night on the floor.  (Those were the days before rescue meds.). I can't remember having the panicked heartbeat feeling....just the killing nausea and vomiting.  Ugh.  It doesn't seem fair to be ambushed at night.  

You've had the diagnosis for 5 years — Do you think your MD is escalating?  Perhaps time to get in touch with your ENT for an update?

Let us know how it goes.

Wishing you all the best,

J-

• Posted

Hi there, Yes I do think it is esculating, I go to my ENT between every 3-6 months since my hearing has gone down hill, I was supposed to go yesterday but have a double ear infection and sinus infection he wants me to get the infection cleared before I come back. This disease surely is awful. Before I would have maybe an attack bad one once every 2 or 3 months now it is almost every other day. I always feel unsteady and don't usually have the ringing in my ears unless an attack comes on. Thanks for your response!

• Posted

Yes, I had that happen to me.  I sent my husband down for my Diazapam, got the dishpan in case I got sick and shut my eyes until it passed.  Once I was on the triamterene htz, I no longer got vertigo like that.
  • Posted

Yes, Robin I have had that happen more than once. In fact, one of my worst episodes started when I rolled over in my bed and proceeded to have severe vertigo and vomiting for 45 minutes.  I have more recently been on a double dieuretic (2x per day) and although that seemed to reduce the number of attacks I was having (I was have 1 or 2 a week for a while), I just had a massive attack today while on a business trip in England and pretty down about it.  That being said, so far for me that has helped manage the symptoms has  been a low sodium diet plus the dieuretic.  Also, if an attack is coming on, valium does help ease the panic and vertigo -- you don't need much to make a difference.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.