Amlodipine side effects ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

hello folks, I'm hoping you can help me.  I've been put on the above b.p meds, having taken them for 10 days, I have a severely itchy neck and wake up during the night clawing at my skin, it's unbearable.  I also feel I have been kicked in the gut, crampy feelings in the legs too.   I'm seeing my GP later today but hope you can tell me these are the side effects that have affected some of you poor folk who need to be on these horrible drugs.  I'm also on Sotalol and dabigatran.   I may add that my b.p is now very low at 95/63.  Bit fed up with all this stuff.  All the best to you on this forum. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Good Luck with the GP is all I can say  having spoken to mine today and told her how ill I am  - I have an AF problem plus other stuff which is life limiting but no clear cut diagnosis but made worse by recent ablation and I feel like I am talking to myself/brickwall.    Perhaps your's will be more help to you because it dosn't sound much like fun for you.    Good Luck. 

• Posted

GP's know very little about ablations I found! When is your follow up appointment with guys that did the ablation? Or has that been and gone?

• Posted

Okapis - My follow up after ablation is 3 months down the line.    They suggest I stop Apix and Flec 2 months done the line before I see him.   I've already had AF post this 2nd very recent ablation.       My comment was really saying good luck to Pauline  trying to work out with GP what is the best course of action  - I generally find that GP and Consultants just look at you blankly when you talk about side effects and how you are feeling.    Unless I came on this forum I would think I was the ONLY person which the my symptoms but its clear there is a pattern and a  lot of suffering going on on drugs and with AF generally.    Fortunately the drugs don't make me itchy! 

• Posted

I am not taking the same meds as you but I have been taking Apixaban for a few months and like you I have itching all over. The doctor has given me two different

antihistamines thinking it might be an allergy but it has not improved.  Maybe it is the tablets doing it.  Hope you get it sorted.

• Posted

My commiserations on your AF. Amlodipine is not a drug that you can stay on for long. Have your docs tried Flecainide yet? But if you've already progressed to the "hard" stuff maybe you've gone past that stage. Are in you permanent AF or still paroxysmal?

• Posted

I'm on Sotalol for paroxysmal AF and the amlodipine is to lower my b.p, thanx for reply. 

• Posted

Hi Pauline

That sounds awful 😟 I was on amopoldine for quite some time and I didn't like the meds can't remember why ! The hospital swooped it for diltiziem for high BP also good for AF been on it over a year and it's the one med I really like no side effects and makes me feel better has massively helped BP

I am also on fecanide for AF

Hope your docs change your meds for something better

Best wishes

Laura

• Posted

Never had ankle swelling until I took Amlodipine. Gave it up straight away.

BTW Sotalol started my paf but it took sometime before I realised this and I'm off that too.

• Posted

I think you are having a chemical reaction or an allergic reaction to this drug, don't wait either go to your GP or the hospital,  I have had this happen to me so know what it is like.

• Posted

Thanks Moira, that's what I've done, now switched to Ramipril which I was on many years ago.  Keep well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.