Tegretol and Alcohol

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone have any experience of drinking alcohol whilst taking Tegretol. My doctor said one glass of wine wouldn't do any harm but my dentist said definitely no alcohol. I'm scared to try it in case it has a bad effect!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm going to simply say that your doctor is better versed in matters of the body than a dentist who is versed in matters of your mouth and the surrounding area. Nothing against dentists at all, but their opinion about anything other than their specialty is worth very little.

• Posted

Just start slow. Tegretol can make you drowsy and slower in general. So can alcohol. You're not going to die from having a drink, but the effects might be more than you're used to.

• Posted

I like a couple of glasses of wine - it does affect me more than it did but not sure if that is just age!
  • Posted

Hi,

My Dad is on carbamazipan and any alcohol at all stops the tablets working. Interestingly he ate lots of tangerines a few weeks ago and we think that stopped his tablets working too!

• Posted

I also think coffee especially strong ones can effect Tegretol. ie it lessens its effect.

i try to keep the two apart and only have one or two coffees max per day.

• Posted

Hi Anne,

I had a glass of wine at Christmas but didn't enjoy it at all. Maybe it was the

Tegratol box staring at me, warning me not to do anything silly if I felt dizzy

or sleepy, or my tastebuds changed. It didn't make me sleepy, in fact t if anything

it made me the opposite! I think Colin put it very well but in the end only you can

decide what you should do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.