GFR decline 113 to 70 in 5 days

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been in the ER 4 times since October. The last two times were last week and 5 days apart. I am suspected to have Lyme and Co-infections. Anyways, I went to the ER for seizures and tremors. They shooed me out the door with a few Xanax and told me to follow up with a neurologist. I have no insurance so I couldn't. I was back last Sunday this time with Seizures, tremors and vertigo - vertigo started at the hospital when I was first seen for the seizures. Again, a few Valium and off I went. Well, I pulled up my labs online because I was told they were "normal" and I know that means nothing. In those 5 days my GFR went from 113 to 70, BUN (which was low at 7 in October, and 9 in January) went from 13 to 20 in 5 days. Creatine has been steady at .6 since October and is now at .9. I have full body muscle atrophy (due to the infections) and also do not eat a ton of meat so those numbers going up do not make sense. Especially with the decrease in GFR. I am not dehydrated. I also have had generalized edema since October. First it was legs and feet. Then trunk. Now under my eyes. I'm always some degree of swollen everywhere. I have also been saying for months (after I was put on Depakote for a couple weeks to which I had a HORRIFIC reaction and that started the swelling and many other things) that I feel TOXIC. My legs turn bright pink and purple. I get rashes all over now that come and go, bulging veins. I have flank pain that comes and goes. Fatigue has increased. Vertigo is awful. I'm so nauseous and appetite is decreasing. And in the last couple days my urine output has declined. I normally go every hour all day and several times a night. In the last 2 days I have only peed a couple times during the day. I do pee a lot at night still. I have taken 6-9 ibuprofen a day for probably 10+ years along with other meds. My question is should I be concerned about those numbers changing so fast? My chloride is also 109. Calcium, potassium, sodium have also increased but in range. I was also shocked to see my magnesium was not deficient I since that is one thing most of Americans are depleated of. Especially chronically sick people. Thanks in advance for the help!

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

You should definitely not take ibuprofen or any other NSAIDS.  These are very bad for kidneys and affect GFR.  It is hard to understand your numbers as they are calculated differently from ours.  Here GFR is just a percentage.  I think that any large change in levels  should be reported to your doctor.  It doesn't sound as though you are receiving much hlep though, Is it possible to change your practitioner for someone who would talk through the issues with you?

• Posted

Hi,

Firstly stop the ibuprofen immediately they are very bad for struggling kidneys. Sencondly you have explained that you have infections, so your GFR will be affected your creatinine level is fine and well within acceptable range.  You will more than likely find once you are clear of infection completely and you are retested that your GFR will recover.  Everyone's GFR is affected by infection, its just people don't usually know if they are not monitored like people with CKD.  When I used to have visuses and such my GFR would drop and then go back up in the begining.  Have you been diagnosed with a kidney issue? when you say lymme do you mean lymmes disease? that is a serious thing in its self if this is the case it will take you a while to recover it will really knock you about.  Also certain meds can affect your kidney function.  I doubt you are having these symptons due to a drop in your GFR as CKD is called the silent disease meaning people don't find out until the last stages.  I had a GFR of 11% before I had symptons and that was just tiredness, when I got to 6% I couldn't eat and that's when I commenced dialysis so I hope this puts your mind at rest a bit.  I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Creatinine levels  of 0.6 to 0.9 are normal and used to calculate GFR.  

GFR of 103 to 70 are in normal range. 

Rash and flank pain, purple legs is of concern which maybe due to some drug or chemical reaction which you may want to check with physician or investigate further.

• Posted

Thanks everyone! I know that I'm still within the normal ranges however those numbers are not normal for me. I was just worried to see changes like that in less than a week when those are numbers that have stayed consistent for years. I keep copies of all my labs so I compared. My body is extremely sensitive and I feel things happening WAY before my blood work would be effected. I knew and felt I was going have appendicitis about 6 months before it actually happened. I know that is hard to believe but I am very intune with my body! I haven't started my treatment for Lyme Disease, unfortunatelysad I don't have insurance and haven't worked in almost a year. I don't qualify for assistance in my state. My mom is paying for the visit and tests for my new doctor on the 21st. Treatment.... I don't know how I'll afford it but I will hopefully figure it out. I've spent years being misdiagnosed and it's taken a toll on me, especially the last several months. To say it is a living hell would be putting it mildly. I am 37 years old with a 4 year old little boy that I have become too sick to care for full time and he has had to live with his dad, seeing me on weekends and a day during the week. I cannot run around with him anymore. I can hardly walk most days. I have trouble reading him stories. It's been devastating. Absolutely devastating. The rapid muscle atrophy and now seizures and tremors that started a few months ago have all but taken what little life I have left in me. Lyme and co-infections can cause kidney disease and acute kidney failure that's why I was worried to see numbers change in a matter of days - along with the swelling, decrease in urine w/ change in color and toxic feeling. Everything I have read says this is a decrease in kidney function. I know I should stop taking ibuprofen but when you live in pain all day and night..... I need relief. I tapered off the harder stuff because it wasn't working anymore and I didn't like being dependent. I will cut back for sure. I am experimenting CBD/natural/homeopathic remedies. I guess I just wanted to know if anyone might have an idea as to what would cause a GFR to drop 43 points with a corresponding raise in BUN, creatine and other kidney related labs, in just 5 days. And would it stand to reason that those numbers might still be working their way's in a negative direction? I have a feeling I'll be back in the ER in the next few days for the seizures/vertigo.... If that happens I will bring all this up.

• Posted

Ok, now you have elaborated your condition more thoroughly this time, and sorry to hear you have to face this. 

What are your co-infections? 

Not sure how long you have been taking Ibuprofen, but I would recommend stopping Ibuprofen immediately. This is probably the reason for GFR to drop by 43 points, but it cant happen in 5 days; it would have been happening for many years without you knowing it. Toxic fee

I am sure you did not test twice for GFR in 5 days ? 

There is cayenne pepper as substitute for pain killer, if you know what that is, can use it. 

• Posted

Hi there! Sorry I didn't explain my condition well the first time. I have horrible brain fog! And yes, the GFR was tested twice . On Feb 1st then Feb 6th. A 43 point difference which just seems quite a jump down for less than a week. The ER just ran all the routine labs but they didn't get a urine that time. There were some changes from my UA middle of Jan and the UA on Feb 1st. Spec Grav and Urobilinogen slightly out of range compared to testing negative in Jan. I don't know why they didn't do a UA on the 6th! Thanks so much for your quick responses. I really appreciate it,

• Posted

I also have all my labs and my GFR was 127 March 2015. Looking for something from last year to compare but like I said it stayed at113 since October last year then that sudden dip to 70 in the 5 days. With the increase of BUN and creatine. Thank you for your advice, I really do appreciate it. I cannot find a thing on the internet that talks about that kind of dip in GFR in such a short period of time.... unless these numbers are still dropping and I know what that would mean.
    • Posted

Oh jeez. Just saw your question about co-infections. So sorry. I don't know yet. Suspected Bartonella, possibly babasia. I have been clinically diagnosed with Lyme but am awaiting the tests. Lyme tests are horrificly inaccurate, especially for someone with chronic late stage lyme. These infections are insidious and stealth with the ability to go undetected in lab work. Hope I cleared all that up!!!

• Posted

Hi,

You need to get your lymmes dealt with this will be causing the issues you are having.  A friend of my husband had Lymmes and he was awful he didn't know what was going on, what day it way, who he was it was terrible to see.  Do you have paracetamol based products where you are switch to these you are not doing yourself or your kidneys any good on ibuorofen.  I am sorry to here about your situation with your little boy as a Mum my heart breaks for you and I hope you get everything sorted soon.

• Posted

I see a Lyme Literate doctor on 2/21 so I am hoping I will be on the road to recovery soon. It's been really, really hard. We don't have paracetamol, but I'm taking a natural product. I stopped taking Ibuprofen a couple days ago. Hopefully my next set of labs will show an improvement. I've been taking ibuprofen for so long it was just jarring to see such a dip in 5 days. Anyways, I appreciate everyone and I will let you know how things go. Thanks so much ?

• Posted

Hi,

I am with you on how hard it is and managing a small person that doesn't sit down and is constantly on the move lol.  I am sure that once you sort the lymes everything else will fall into place.  You are doing so well like I said its no easy thing to deal with that I have seen what it can do and looked after the person who had it.  It took a while to get right but he is good now.  You were right to be concerned about your drop in figures regardless if they were in normal range it clearly isn't normal for you and the figures are only a guide and not set in stone we are all indervidual and there is no normal for creatinine this is also very personal to ourselves.  I hope you see an improvement very soon and then you can get little one back with you.  Keep focused on that and you will get there I am sure smile

• Posted

Wow. So it's refreshing to hear words of understanding! Thank you so much. I really mean it ?

• Posted

GFR should not go down below 60. 

Your fine right now at 70, but it seems to be a temporary dip and it is reversible. 

• Posted

Hi,

Its no problem, sometimes it helps to have someone who knows what you are ggoing through, and has young children so knows how hard it is at times.  Sometimes I have my GFR and creatinine checked every day depending on what is going on at the time, on occasion I am like a human pin coushion and am surprised I have any blood left (a figure of speach, I am well aware how much blood is in my body lol). x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.