Colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Ive had sudden diarrhea and watery bloody diarrhea the once 2 months ago. I definitely have inflammation as I did a stool sample which showed my levels greater than 6000 which indicates inflammation. I saw the Dr 3 days ago and hve a Colonoscopy next week. I'm very nervous about this and worried about having a flare up during the procedure or taking the laxative powder that might cause the flare-up. Is it safe to have a flare up while taking these laxative powder's,? Wat if I get bloody diarrhea? I'm not sure if I have acute colitis or colitis from antibiotic use. I was taking a antibiotics 3 weeks before my sudden flare. Not sure wat type of colitis I have ow whether its colon cancer or crohns. I'm going out of my mind with worry. Every time I have a stomach ache I worry and don't go out

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Bye the way out of curiosity is a calproctin level of greater than 6000 severe inflammation. The Dr said to me they don't look at the range but the patient. Whatever that means

• Posted

Oh it may be worth knowing that uc and inflammation will need to be delt with first as drugs like pentasa will only keep it at bay after your ESR is down. And pentasa is a bit of trial and error to get the right amount for you as to little will not work.

If you have uc you will be told your at a higher risk of cancer BUT you can reduce this by taking the daily drugs. Please remember it's a slightly higher risk than people who don't., but that said there are other factors more likely to give concern like being overweight, eating processed foods and lots of red meat, no exercise and smoking and drinking to much. Also being diabetic! If you can address half of theses issues then you will offset your risk due to uc somewhat. Remember even the chap who has all the above is more likely to die from another related illness. Just a thought.

Don't read the Internet as you are only 3 clicks away from cancer in any search

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I don't really know too much about the drugs or what ESR is. I have done a CPR test but haven't got back results yet. I mite find out I have crohnes. Not sure. Yeah I won't be looking at the net again. Tbh Ive heard about crohns disease but not colitis. They say inflammation bowel disease us rare yet I know a few people with crohns. That would be worse I think.

• Posted

You really need to try to stop worrying! If you do have UC then stress and worry are the main factors of flares! Have the colonoscopy, prepare yourself with the drinks the day before as directed and take the sedative offered on the day of the procedure. You will be fine and feel no discomfort! That is the way to find out exactly what is wrong with you! Try to relax and put yourself in the hands of the professionals! The powder drinks are very gentle! Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. Ive read info on the internet and read so many stories thats worried me so much. I shouldn't google it. I was quite sick for about a week and stayed in bed for that week going to the loo over 20 times. I was just worried having those powder's mite trigger it off. Its nice talking to people that understands all of this. Your rite worry isn't good and I appreciate your reply. I feel better about taking the laxatives now. Thought I was going to be non stop going toilet.

• Posted

My advice also is to not google info on the condition. Some stories on the web are horrific and exaggerated. Use this forum when you need advice or reassurance! The members here are caring and informed! Good luck, I'm sure you will be just fine! Do let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Yeah scare the hell out of someone the net. Thanks so much. Glad I found this forum

Appreciated x

• Posted

Hi

Your ESR levels high due to inflammation

But you would have had a blood test for cancer makers like CEA and I guess a stomach exam also?

Colonoscopy looks at the whole area and samples taken for microscope colitis. Infection and uc and other things are much more likely than cancer. Uc can cause other things like ulcers in the mouth and eyes and weight loss

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.