Augmentation

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys I have a few questions regarding augmentation. I have avoided medication for my RLS for years, I am only 30 and didn't want to start taking such a serious medication with all sorts of side effects, then to have augmentation set in and possibly be left in a worse situation than prior to taking the medication.

Now, things have become so bad that I really do need something to help me lead any kind of life. Doctors first offered me gabapentin and now ropinerole.

Those of you that have tried various medications... how bad is augmentation and how soon did it occur for you? And are symptoms really that much worse after augmentation sets in? Or is it just that you'd forgotten how bad it was or that things would have naturally progressed that way anyway?

How many different medications have to tried and how often do you alternate? Is it the case that you could try drug A then drug B then drug C and then go back to drug A again and it would work? Or would it never again have the desired effect?

Sorry for all the questions. Any advice would be ever so gratefully received 💙

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cassioneandonly

I have been taking slow release Sifrol 0.75. Early evening plus 1 gabapentin of late re the gabapentin

I happened to read about gabapentin, which it's for nerve pain and also good for RLS I also take a quick release and 2 gabapentin at bed time because I also jerk a lot. Try taking the does release FIRST....

SEE HOW YOU GO because you are young and will have to be on meds for a long time. What I did when I first got RSL was to simply take MAG PHOS( they are tissue cell salts) that you out under the tongue to dissolve. They worked for me for many years before I went on to meds

• Posted

Hi Basia, thank you for sharing. Is that a form of magnesium? I currently use mag spray on my legs, take mag bisglycinate and also have occasional Epsom salt baths but if I'm honest it's never seemed to help at all.

I've not heard of Sifrol, is that a dopamine agonist? Have you tried others or did you go straight to taking that?

• Posted

My legs jerk mostly. I wake up just before they actually start to jerk. I lay on my stomach to see if I can overcone it and get back to sleep. Very occasionally I can get back to sleep on my stomach. If that does not work, then I fill my bathroom sink, with the coldest of water, winter is great as water realy cold. I put each foot in one at a time, splash my legs. Luckily I am agile, I then bring my leg right up bending my knee and placing my knee in splash my legs. It gives a real shock to the nerves that are effecting this jerking trouble. Sometimes I even get in shower, turning it cold and spray my whole leg. I find i can get back to sleep with no more teouble. 
    • Posted

Thank you oops, I really feel I have tried everything now. Hot and cold showers, Epsom salts, legs upside down, massage, exercise, magnesium cream, bananas & coconut water, iron tablets, meditation, yoga. It really is impossible. I am waking up every couple of hours constantly it's like being held in a torture camp.

• Posted

I said it before I'll say it agin on this sight, leg squates till your legs burn,do one at a time.ill elaborate if you need more info...has kept me from going nuts .. 

• Posted

Thank you glen, it's definitely not that simple anynore.. maybe years ago when it was milder. But now I am up every couple of hours and it's all through the night and in the day now too. I have tried exercise, I have tried Squats. Too much exercise in the day actually makes it worse. Doing squats at night offers no relief. I am waking up every couple of hours constantly it's like being held in a torture camp.

• Posted

Sorry my comment didn't help..one thing I've heard but never tried is THC:CBD combo the one to one ratio..no high to worry about helps you sleep. Read of a few studies done that were promising,like most RLS remadys it doesn't work for everyone might work for you. Hang in there

• Posted

Thanks Glen, I've heard this mentioned before. Are you in America? I wonder what the legality of those products is in the UK? I shall speak to my doctor!

• Posted

Hi cassioneandonly ...I've tried all the meds mentioned and the only thing that works for me is clonazepam. I take 0.5mg two at night and occasionally need to take two more in the night. I've been on clonazepam for 17 years now as I had very severe restless legs. It's worked for me..saved my sanity. I do hope you find something that works.

• Posted

Hi Dianne, thank you for your message. Do you mean to say that it has worked for 17 years and that augmentation has not yet set in? This is reassuring to hear! Do you experience many side effects? Thank you!
    • Posted

Yes clonazepam has worked for 17 years. I even managed to slowly reduce my initial dose of 2mg x 2 nightly down to 0.5mg x 2 nightly. Very very slowly though. The 0.5mg seem to work with the occasional extra dose needed..I find alcohol will exacerbate the rls . I am aware that I'm addicted to a benzodiazepine but at least I do have a good quality of life. The only side effect I've known is tiredness in the morning but not to such a degree that I couldn't do a full time job and look after a family. Hope this answers your question.

• Posted

Hi Diane, that's wonderful to hear. I just hope I might have the same luck. Thank you x

• Posted

Gabapentin worked well for me for about 9 months then stopped working. Side effects weren't as bad as the RLS. I then tried Dopamine agonists which can lead to augmentation. Ropinorole worked for about a year and then I changed to pramipexole before patches. I thought that I would be able to keep switching between DA's as each stopped working but it's probably not a good idea and better to stop DAs for a few months before returning to them. I found they worked for shorter and shorter periods and increased doses until I passed out and fell (on patches). As you say it's difficult to assess augmentation or deterioration but changeover is Hell! I tried Tramadol for the changeover and 2 years later am still on it and sleeping soundly. Only side effect is falling asleep if I sit down and relax but better than RLS. Read RLS book, join all the forums and work with your GP and you will find your way....

• Posted

Thank you Beagle, this is what I'm worried about. Tramadol sounds promising though, I'm glad you have found something that works for you. Is there a particular RLS book that you would recommend?

• Posted

I have RLS by Buchfuhrer, Hening etc which is pretty comprehensive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.