Best Items to Have Post Spinal Fusion Surgery - and one parting recommendation :)

Posted , 5 users are following.

3 Months post L3-S1 Fusion - 8 hour surgery - 6 days in hospital.  Good results so far.  Some very very helpful items and things to have if I ever have to have surgery again (hoping not to though).  Here is my list of must haves:

?1. Satin or Silk Sheets and Pillow Covers - Have at hospital (I did not and wish I did) and have a home (which I did) - massive affect on sliding and moving post surgery - no friction and you can shift/slide left to right when turning - this has to be my #1 recommendation and makes a tremendous difference with pain in moving in bed and getting out of bed from the barrel roll.

?2. Raised toilet seat - a must as it will lessen the pain going up and down - another must have when you get home.

?3. Grabber - 36" with rubber gribs at the end - a must have post surgery and getting home

?4. Ice Packs (I used frozen peas as they shifted better to surround the area) - a must have to reduce any post op swelling.

?5. Stool or Chair that is high (just did not want to write highchair lol) - you dont want to sit on anything low to ground as it will be very tough to get up.

?6. Easy and baggy fitting pajama bottoms and tops - nothing clingy

?Those are the must haves from me - and my last and biggest recommendation - walk walk walk walk walk walk as much as you can take - you will not want to and you will want to think resting in your chair or bed helps, but it does not get you healing quicker - more walking equals more blood flow to the surgical area and helps the bones fuse better.

?Cheers from New York City and all the best fellow spine fusion buddies.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jim,

I was given all items you have described. Very helpful post for others. I did walk with Physical therapy at first but they operated only on L4 and 5. minimal envasive. My L5-S1 was the original complaint with root nerve compression but he said the L4-L5 needed work first. When I went back to my nuerosurgeon he said there was no more o be done and he was happy with hus work. I on the oter hand still had radiating pain down the legs and lower back. As well as deeply depressed I am upset. I did als do Aqua therapy for a few months.The pain does not go away. I don't feel likw walking anywhere. I am at my wit's end and have no social life, the most I can walk is 500 ft without sitting down.Just want to cry.

Emily

• Posted

I know how you feel, ihad my surgery 14 years ago and have suffered chronic pain ever since, it has travelled up my spine, i now have a thoracic arachnoid cyst compressing my spinal cord, cervical degeneration with multi level bulging discs and bone spurs, I'm currently being tested for AS, I am in constant pain and struggle with a lot of basic daily tasks I once took for granted, I have to say I wasn't given any helping aids or physio after my surgery but thought nothing if it at the time 😢

• Posted

yes Caroline. I understand. No one cares a bit. And we are the one's who suffer. I am yet again trying a new team as suggested here on posts but I am depressed and losing everyone in my life from my crying and pain. 

no one wants to help. Very bad situation. I have more paper piled up than imaginable. I hate to say what my step will be. Totally discusted with life.

• Posted

Ankylosing spondylitis, (arthritis of the spine) inflammation and stiffening of the spine, sacrialic joints, hips, shoulders, neck..

Not sure I have it yet but I have all these symptoms and struggle everyday.

I understand your frustration and anger and all the awful emotions we have to deal with when faced with Hugh changes with our health and mobility, I thought I'd be back to work 3-6 months post opp but never returned as I never really fully recovered from the opp, it progressed over time but was told because the bottom was fused the rest of my spine has to compensate so I put up with the upper back pain for 7 years until I could take no more, I asked for an MRI which they found something they weren't sure about so sent me for more and it took a further 3 years before diagnosed with the cyst, no one wanted to deal with it as it's extremely rare and will leave me paralysed if removed, I found out through research this was caused by the fussion but the docs aren't havin any of it. I also have cervical degeneration, my neck mobility is so limited now I screatch when I move my head, the pain is going into my shoulder almost like someone has put an axe through it.

Are you with a pain management team? I have faucet joint injections and they work well for me (not everyone) there's also a treatment where they burn the nerve endings (can't remember what it's called), are you in any meds?

Sorry for going on but I need you to know that your not alone and you can fight this, you will have down days and good days but I think coming to terms with your condition (and I know that is difficult) will help you move forward and start to live again, small steps is the way forward, you can do this Hun do not let it beat you your stronger than that, I'm always here if you need to sound off as I know all to well how it feels to bottle it up xxx

• Posted

Also all my friends and family have disappeared over the years to, all I have left are husband, kids Mam and brother and that's just how I like it, what I found was when I had nothing to offer anyone they eventually stopped calling, on the plus side I don't have stress anymore (I think this is enough stress to cope with on its own 😊wink

• Posted

Only have a brother left and he has no compasion but will go to Dr's and tell them not to give me so much meds and they say , that is why I am there to make her feel better and who is the Dr??

• Posted

Also L3 through S1 two years ago.  EVERYTHING on your list is POIFECT!!!

Now I'm contending with stenosis in L2/L3.  Choice ONE was opening up my back, taking out all the hardware, cleaning out and spacing L2/L3 and fusing me L2 through S1.  A week in the hospital, months of rehab.

Choice TWO is to have a general surgeon open a space from my side so the neurosurgeon could get to my back and insert an EXPANDABLE spacer in L2/L3.  Slip it in and then crank it open with an Allen wrench so the foraminal canals are wider and don't pinch the nerves anymore.  80% success rate...overnight stay...immediate pain relief...no rehab.

Hmmmmm...which one do I pick....  duh...  Be prepared.  You may face the same problem down the road as anything higher than L3 starts to weaken.

• Posted

Chico, be prepared for Arthritis which I have as well/

Be well, hope your birthday was wonderful

Emily

• Posted

At almost 69 (two weeks), I feel all broke down.  If I can get past this L2/L3 problem and resume my rehab from the knee replacement, I might be looking at a brighter world by the summer...of 2021...lol...  This isn't easy...just paying for 45 years of hockey...

• Posted

Hey Chico, You are still young. I am almost 65. You cheered me up. I love ya.

Emily

• Posted

You will be ok with that attitude u have and if you slip and need someone to talk to I will be here. Don't worry

• Posted

Just want to get on my skates again for an easy glide...and be able to do some yard work again.  Still, I work full time as an IT Architect for AT&T and always keep playing blues bass with my band...been gigging all my life.

• Posted

you in the US?

Good for you pushing on through the pain. Obviously stronger than I

• Posted

...of A.  "Push" is a relative term.  Too far and you do more damage or have setbacks.  The knee is a nightmarish and very slow recovery.  My fusion was a piece of cake.  Doing 230-pound leg presses within a few weeks.  I ALWAYS bounce back very quickly from surgeries but the knee replacement was humbling.  11 months and still not done...with the stenosis starting at 8.  It's been a wild ride for sure.  Hoping that the back surgery next month gets me back on track to finish the knee.  Then probably the doc will tell me I need a brain transplant...never ends...

• Posted

So funny, brain surgery, god forbid. You have had a long hard road. I feel for you. I hope you don't have much pain and you continue to be your silly self. I hope you are not doing this alone and have a good deal of help. You are a crusader. Let us know how it goes. Praying you will be well again.

Emily

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.