Tonsellectomy worries

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. Possibly a strange message but my wife, who is 33, and suffers from asthma and sleep apnea, is having her tonsellectomy today. Because i suffer from a bad anxiety condition i cannot be with her at the hospital and this is heightening my concerns.

I am a huge worrier so i am concerned about the operation itself and her making it through. And then the recovery when she returns home is going to be a worry, especially the risk of the sort of bleed that would require a return to the hospital.

Professional advice, and more importantly, real life experiences, would be hugely welcome please. Thank you. Tony

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are u on medication for anxiety?

Did u go to pre surgery with your wife?

U are anticipting worse case scenarios, which rarely happen, but if they do there is always help within a phone call.

U should have your phone numbers on hand or on the fridge. A member of family can sort this out for u.

Do u work?

Keep busy today it will be over soon. She will have cover for pain. She is probably worried about u too.

Practice relaxation techniques today. (Or pray) and remeber this is a common surgery. Kids cope with it. Has been done for over 60 years. Take care of u.

• Posted

Thank you Rhonda for your response.

I am on medication, mainly for the physical effects of my anxiety. I am a huge worrier, which i think is heightened by my anxiety.

No, she went to the pre op on her own as i cannot travel, or even enter a hospital without physical sickness and discomfort.

I have been a househusband for a while now so am normally very organised and able to cope with all kinds of plans. Will have the relevant numbers to hand should they be needed.

My wife seems to be keeping very clear headed and strong, and i was able to hold back my emotions when she left on the short walk to hospital to meet up with her mum, to hopefully put her a little more at ease in regards to how i will be.

When i am clear headed i know that these are common practices, and everyone recovers differently. I know the surgery is a fairly short process and my wife is in good hands. Our bond is such a close one, and we support each other through a lot. It is just hard not being there with her but i also know that it is actually better for her that i am at home (her mum is much more positive and happy-go-lucky.)

Thank you again for your words, and for listening.

• Posted

Tony,

30 year old female on day 6 of my tonsillectomy post op. I have horrible asthma (on advair, Singulair, and albuterol daily) and anxiety.

My husband has been since since the morning of my surgery so he hasn't even been around, thank God for my mother to take care of my son and i.

I suffer from severe anxiety issues so making the decision to have this surgery was not one that I took lightly. I have had an issue with my throat since October and my ENT recommended we do a biopsy (hello, horrifying). In order to do biopsy it would involve a full tonsillectomy. Needless to say, I had the surgery last Wednesday at a local hospital.

Surgery was at 11 and I was in the car headed home by 1:15. I am in the US (UK seems to keep patients longer I've found). I was instructed to take my asthma medication prior to anesthesia (because they insert the breathing tube) so there was no bronchoconstriction. The one good thing the doctor told me was that the anesthesia they administer is naturally a bronchodialator.

The first night I had tremendous swelling. I had to have my on call ENT call in a steroid to a local 24 hour pharmacy because I felt like I was breathing through a straw. My heart rate was outrageous (I was panicking) and my pulse ox level was low (88%). I wrapped ice packs around my neck and within an hour of taking the steroid the swelling decreased dramatically.

I have not taken ice packs off my neck since. I have kept up with the pain killers every 4 hours and take my antibiotic twice daily.

Hot showers, bending over, lifting anything can cause bleeding. They cause pressure to the wound and can cause hemorrhaging. Do NOT let her do any of those things. I am on a soft diet (soup, mashed potatoes, finally some noodles) and lots of ice pops. The dairy in the ice cream makes the mucus so much thicker so I've stayed away from it since the first time I had it.

Water, water, water. All day long. Make sure she's peeing constantly. It flushes her system, keeps her throat moist, and enables healing.

Lots of luck. If I think if anything else or if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Melissa

• Posted

Tony,

30 year old female on day 6 of my tonsillectomy post op. I have horrible asthma (on advair, Singulair, and albuterol daily) and anxiety.

My husband has been since since the morning of my surgery so he hasn't even been around, thank God for my mother to take care of my son and i.

I suffer from severe anxiety issues so making the decision to have this surgery was not one that I took lightly. I have had an issue with my throat since October and my ENT recommended we do a biopsy (hello, horrifying). In order to do biopsy it would involve a full tonsillectomy. Needless to say, I had the surgery last Wednesday at a local hospital.

Surgery was at 11 and I was in the car headed home by 1:15. I am in the US (UK seems to keep patients longer I've found). I was instructed to take my asthma medication prior to anesthesia (because they insert the breathing tube) so there was no bronchoconstriction. The one good thing the doctor told me was that the anesthesia they administer is naturally a bronchodialator.

The first night I had tremendous swelling. I had to have my on call ENT call in a steroid to a local 24 hour pharmacy because I felt like I was breathing through a straw. My heart rate was outrageous (I was panicking) and my pulse ox level was low (88%). I wrapped ice packs around my neck and within an hour of taking the steroid the swelling decreased dramatically.

I have not taken ice packs off my neck since. I have kept up with the pain killers every 4 hours and take my antibiotic twice daily.

Hot showers, bending over, lifting anything can cause bleeding. They cause pressure to the wound and can cause hemorrhaging. Do NOT let her do any of those things. I am on a soft diet (soup, mashed potatoes, finally some noodles) and lots of ice pops. The dairy in the ice cream makes the mucus so much thicker so I've stayed away from it since the first time I had it.

Water, water, water. All day long. Make sure she's peeing constantly. It flushes her system, keeps her throat moist, and enables healing.

Lots of luck. If I think if anything else or if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Melissa

• Posted

PS- have patience with her. She is about to endure some agonizing days and will need your support.
    • Posted

Hi Melissa,

Thank you so much for your feedback and advice, and sharing your experience.

Firstly, as an update i will just say that my wife had a successful surgery. She actually phoned me from the hospital and said she was fine (a typical reaction from her).

You are right, she is staying in over night. I think partly because she has to use a CPAP breathing apparatus so they want to be certain all is ok with the use of that before sending her home. She was a little sick with a small amount of blood but this is a common reaction to being anaesthetised for her. Has since eaten some sandwiches and some ice cream but we both know that things can get worse before they get better.

I must offer huge admiration to you for attending the hospital and enduring the procedure given your own anxiety. I simply would not be able to put myself through that.

I have ice packs, and loose ice all prepared for when my wife returns, which is expected to be tomorrow. She also has one of these hot water bottle type things that you can put around your neck. Has a comforting fleece cover. We don't know yet if warmth or cold will be the more soothing.

I will be extremely patient and supportive - this is something i can do well once i get passed my initial panic and concern. My wife will not be doing any lifting, unnecessary bending over, and she prefers baths to showers but will reduce the heat from what she normally likes.

We have the option of the soft food diet, and we have the ice pops and plenty of liquid (much of which will include water.) Not sure what her eating habits will be like exactly but i know she will be very careful.

I will pass on your best wishes, for which i say thank you, and if i think of anything worth enquiring about i will post up here again.

Really appreciate you taking the time to write to me. Keep strong yourself and hopefully your recovery is as speedy and comfortable as is possible.

Tony

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.