Last ditch effort

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 50 year old male with Vitiligo. My symptoms did not become noticeable until approximately 6 to 8 years ago. It has gotten progressively worse and is now on my head (I shave my head) and neck. I am completely discouraged. If I didn't have a 16 year old son at home I would seriously contemplate suicide. This has completely destroyed my self esteem. As a last ditch effort to cure this, I am going to attempt to purchase tofacitinib citrate on the internet and take my chances as my doctor would not prescribe it for me. Good luck to you all!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I know it's no good me telling you this isn't cancer but it's true. Try to take a deep breath and see it for what it- an inconvenience. I have had vitiligo since my 20's and I'm now 70 and it that time I've discounted all the snake oil out there with grandsons claims. My way of dealing with it is to gain control by camouflage. My starting point is St. Tropez tanning mousse brushed onto the pale areas, taking care not to go over the edges. If it's at th back, use a mirror, Do this before you go to bed. In the day or if you haven' had time time to apply the night tan, use camouflage cream blended with a brush or a sponge.

Be brave and strong for your son and please don't resort to dodgy medicines off the internet. 

• Posted

I am turning 64 this year, my vitiligo didn't show up intil 3-4 years ago.  The only place that bothered me that I had it was my face.  I had been a sun worshipper all my life.  I am white but I have a touch or cherokee in me so I got pretty dark. 

So I read up on it.  I started wearing a special hat I got off line with a wide brim and 200% uv block and sunscreen as advised.  It is no fun being burned with vitiligo. I guess at my age I really didn't care what other people thought.  My skin lightened up and you can't tell on my face anymore but you can tell on my arms and other places.  I started taken skin vitamins.  I use lots of skin lotion and cream.  I wear a hat at all times I am outside.  I got special light bulbs and I am going to get special windows to block the uv so I can wear shorts and tank tops inside.  Also so I can open up the curtains and blinds again.  I need my sunshine!  I still don't care what other think and believe me I used to be pretty vain. I hope it isn't vanity that is tearing you apart because that is only skin deep. Make a fashion statement with hats. I think men look cool with hats. 

You didn't say what race you are.  I could imagine it has a bigger impact if you are anything other than white.  But you are not a teenager anymore, show your son what you are made of.  People do not notice my skin problem because I don't make a big deal of it.  The only person who has ever said anything was my niece and that was because she has had it since she was a teen.  What a brave soul. 

Be an example for your son, vitiligo is genetic and runs in families.  Please take care of yourself.  I know I am a stranger (for now) but I care.  If you want to write to me, let me know here and I will send you my email addy.  Put your faith in God, there is a reason for everything.

God Bless - Maureen

• Posted

umm, that should be 100% not 200%.  I really wish I would proofread.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.