Pain breakthrough

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been taking Tegretol since  November which has taken care of pain very well (albeit it is a small dose). For the past few days my teeth have been very painful whenever the top set makes contact with the bottom set resulting in multi electric shocks to my face so now I am scared to eat at all. In the experience of fellow sufferers Is this what is generally known as a pain breakthrough which I can sit out. I would prefer not to up the dosage if

possible.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne. That's a call you will have to make. If it continues you might want to call doc. Yes, he will up it. I was on 900mg Gabapentin for last 6 months. 3-4 weeks ago I started with the break through. Doc said up dose to 1200 mg and when the pain settled down to try going back to 900mg. I like you want the lowest dose possible. Right now I'm not ready to reduce it. This maybe from fear of it returning.

I, too, was on Tegretol to start but could not take it. It made me a home bound zombie. Let me know what you decide to do and how you are.

• Posted

Hi Anne, it's horrible when it's in your teeth like that. I found I was ok so

long as I didn't have to chew anything. I've lived on soups and soft food for

such a long time it will be great to be able to eat proper Frenchy food again.

I agree with Joanne that whoever takes care of you will probably want to

up the Tegretol. Don't do it yourself. Talk to the professional first and

increase it very slowly. You may find by it going up a little bit it will stop

the pain. Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

I have the same problem. But mine hurts all the time. On both sides. The electrical shocks have minimized, just constant pain that mess don't seem to be touching.

• Posted

Sometimes I wonder why I eat at all as the first several bites set off the pain. But I forge through and finish the meal because eventually the pain subsides. Can be awkward when around others, trying not to be obvious. On 800 mg of Tegretol. Not interested in upping it at this point. Who knows what's ahead??? Good luck Anne

• Posted

Hi sorry to say but this is one of the common pains of TN and the most agonising at times. I was on a high dose of Gabapentine and carbamazepine which my body tolerated well with the exseption of the odd hand trennors and forgetting words or on occasions stopping a conversation due to forgetting what I wanted to say but that was only on high doses my body organs were fine though. Then I was put onto Lamotridgene, that with Gabapentine and a 100 mg 3x a day of carbamazepine holds it most of the time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.