Prolia

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have osteoporosis and osteopenia. I was prescribed forteo and had to get off it as it lowered my blood pressure and experienced dizziness. Now I am supposed to start prolia and the side effects freighten me. What do other use to strengthen bones?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I looked at the prospect of taking prolia but declined. I rejected the other so called medicines and decided they were not worth the risk.

Some people are reporting success with supplements and exercise. K2 is an important one for aiming the calcium onto the bones. Vitamin D3 is being taken by most people as there seems to be an issue with people getting enough from the sunshine. This one puzzles me because even in sunny places people are short on vitamin D. Magnesium is another one to check you are getting sufficient. Foods like prunes and avocados are good to include in your diet.

Exercise is vital for strengthening the bones especially weight bearing ones so walking is good if you are able. 

There are others on here who have good advice and are achieving positive results and will add to what I have said.

By the way, what are your tscores? I have noticed people are being advised to take these medicines when they are borderline osteoporosis patients. -1or -2 is not too bad and also there is the consideration of tiny bones and bone strength. 

Have you broken any bones? If not, then it is not as bad as you fear.

All the best, Mary!

• Posted

I am currently taking Alendronate. I read a lot of negative side effects, but the doctor recommended that I take it. I've been taking it for more than 4 months without any problems except minor muscle aches. I also take Vitamin D and calcium supplements and do weight bearing exercises.

• Posted

Kathleen's points are excellent.  I like to tell people that it is possible to improve bone density through natural means, and even if you must take an OP med you should also do everything else which is natural (diet, supplements, appropriate exercise) as that can do no harm and will at least give your body the materials it needs to build healthy bones.

My story so far:  T-score of -2 after three months on prednisone for polymyalgia rheumatica.  I went completely natural, resisting doctor's pressure to take AA.  Supplements, diet and appropriate exercise.  Still on prednisone, for over half the intervening year above 5 mg which has a measureable effect on bones.  Subsequent DXA scan showed t-score now -1.6 and medication no longer recommended.

• Posted

My sister just told me she was given prolia last October and has had massive issues and stuck with them for six months. 
    • Posted

Hello Kathleen

thanks for replying to my concern about prolia. Do you know what issues your sister had after taking prolia?  

• Posted

I took it for three years and was fine. Then I had various problems so decided to stop it. Not too sure if pains due to it or not but as taken every six months I felt it was too long to suffer if it was that. Have had treatment for 10 years and now on holiday rest! I take but D3, Vit k2 and magnesium every day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.