Is esmya/ulipistral compulsory before a hysterectomy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey ladies! I'm on a waiting list for a laparoscopic hysterectomy and have been told I must take esmya 12 weeks before the op? To do with bleeding during the op and possibly drinking the fibroids before the op...anyone else taken them or not taken them? 😁

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there..no ive never heard of having to do any of that stuff. Hopefully someone else will know of it tho..sorry
  • Posted

Hi Karmaway,

I believe esmya is given to shrink fibroids - but I have not had this - only read up on it. They wil  want fibroids to shrink for the laparoscopic surgery - the size of mine are too big to do this way - hence an abdominal cut. Only down side to laparoscopic surgery is the gas that they use to create a working space - can be very painful for the first few hours - I had laparoscopic operation on my stomach 2 years ago - and the gas caused the most pain! The plus side is very little scarring externally.

• Posted

Should have said esmya is not compulsory - I have not been anything to shrink my fibroids - but my operation will be different to yours. I would have preferred something less evasive to be honest! Let me know how it goes! cheesygrin

• Posted

You and me both! Wouldn't be human if we didn't! Will be good to be rid of the pain and issues though!

• Posted

Hi Karmaway! I am 2 weeks on from a total abdominal hysterectomy for uterine fibroids. I was first prescribed Esmya medication early in 2016, at which time the guidance suggested it should only be taken for a maximum of two 3 month interventions to reduce bleeding and help to shrink the fibroids. I found it to be really beneficial to me as my periods completely stopped and I could feel that the pressure in my abdomen was reduced when I was taking it. At the end of the 2 interventions I stopped using the Esmya and my periods returned, as did the building of abdominal pressure. Then, at an appointment with the gynae consultant, I was informed that guidance re Esmya had changed, and it was now possible for women to be prescribed Esmya for up to 2 years (with, as I understand it, breaks between each 3 month intervention). I was more than happy to take up another Esmya prescription, and took the medication right up to going into hospital for the op. I found it to be very beneficial for my situation, particularly in relation to the lack of periods smile and to reducing the pressure in my abdomen. As for it being compulsory, I don't know about that as you will always have a choice about, and need to give consent for, the treatment you receive, but my experience of Esmya was certainly a very positive one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.