Whether the Doctor recognizes your symptoms.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I feel sorry for people who come to this website to express their anxiety about a possible positive dx of MS from their neurologist--I haven`t seen any answers for a long time.  It is very hard receiving the diagnosis in the first place--but coming here isn`t going to change whether the neurologist was right or wrong.  When someone writes in to say that they received that diagnosis--I feel bad for them.  But they immediately come up with all sorts of speculations that the doctor made a mistake.  The Doctor possibly told them that they did not have MS--when they know in their hearts and everything they have read that they do. These neurologists are loathe to give you that diagnosis.  They think it is going to make you depressed. Doesn`t mean that there is a treatment for it. People who get to this website should know that they might find out that they DO have this disease.  How they react to that is key. Remember the 5 stages of grief.  I thought I had it in 1988--went to a neurologist.  He lost the test results.  I got married and had a kid.  I was diagnosed in the Fall of 1999--when my daughter was 8 years old.  I wish I had watched my diet and taken care of myself.  Now I walk with a walker.  Still I am lucky I have a workplace that takes care of me when I am sick.  Depression and anxiety come and go and often it is for more reasons than MS.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure what your point is in this post.  Is it to discourage people from asking here?  

I have been watching many youtube videos of people documenting their MS, how it started, etc.   I am shocked at how long some people had symptoms that went undiagnosed by one or more doctors.  I can see that happening in days before the internet.  Now, with all the data on the web, some symptoms make it pretty obvious that it might be ms.  Specially, these symptoms with eyes.  It amazes me how many people just ignore symptoms if they go away.   

Are you saying doctors don't give a MS diagnosis when they think/know it is because they don't want to depress a client?   That's pretty awful.   I think there are a lot of less-than-good doctors out there.  It is up to a patient to seek out the best ones and get 2nd, 3rd, or more opinions.  

• Posted

I completely agree with you marilee43089!  It is terrible that doctors do that!  Patients should get the truth, even when the doctor doesn't want to commit.  They should give tons of information to the patient, both for and against and let the patient come to the realization that a firm diagnosis is needed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.