MS hug?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I wasn't dx with MS but long story short, it's a possibility.

What does the hug feel like because right now I feel this terrible tightness around my rib cage. I've been to the ER twice within the last week thinking I was having asthma attacks. Chest x ray is clear and my they said my lungs sound good. I'm even on steroids and asthma meds. My upper back is so tight and my chest is very heavy but feels heaviest/tightest going around right under my breasts.

Its making it impossible to sleep. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

MS hug is caused because the intercostal muscles (which are many tiny muscles, between all our to ribs) going into spasm. Quite how it's experienced is down to the individual. When I have MS hug, I find that any movement, feels as though lots of the muscles are tearing. When I'm having a lot of this problem, I find regular, cautious stretching very helpful, and essential before trying to sleep. The only med. that helps me, is baclofen, muscle relaxant.

• Posted

The best description I've ever given is that it feels like I'm wearing a thick, leather belt that's 4 sizes too small! I get this in the same place as you, and I had it once for 4 months straight! Hated it....

• Posted

I too have severe spasticity and the entire stomach seems like carrying a squeezed towel or a heavy stone inside. Stretching and cardio exercises alongwith Synaptol Rx make the MS Hug bearable for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.