Meniere's and hearing loss

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have suffered with hearing loss/menieres for the last 10-11 years. Current symptoms include severe hearing loss to my ears i have recenty had surgery to correct SSCD, Opening in the bone structure above my ear canals, this has stopped the aggressive dizziness and nystgmus but the hearing loss remians. It has been suggested that i have a steriod injection into the inner ear. Has anyone had this and does it improve the hearing??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had the Labyrinthectomy in December. According to my surgeon, unfortunately, the hearing loss is irreversible. I only had it on one side, so now I am learning how to live with it. The steroid and gentamycin injections should have been done prior to the surgery.
    • Posted

Sorry after the gentamycin injection
  • Posted

Hi Mark,

I have had intratympanic steroid injections for MD and while it has worked miracles for the vertigo, dizziness and brain fog, it has not restored any of my hearing loss. 

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

I can live with partial hearing loss, but not the other more disabling symptoms as I'm a full time worker and single parent. I look forward to beginning treatment.

• Posted

Just be prepared to be patient....It's a process.  Very few people feel better after just one shot.  But you'll find that after each injection, symptoms will gradually decrease in frequency and intensity....and then one day: WoooHoo!  You realize you haven't felt so good in a very long time!  The good thing about sterioid injections is that you can have as many as you need without worrying — they can't hurt you.  And, while they don't seem to be able to restore hearing loss, they can keep it from getting worse by decreasing the episodes of hydrops.   My otolaryngologist uses an every 4 week schedule,  He says that you have to give the eardrum time to heal, as well as allow the protein synthesis to take place on a cellular level.  I have had a tough case, but I don't regret going this route.  If/when symptoms return, it usual takes significantly fewer injections to get back to normal again.

I wish you the very best of luck!!!!  Keep us updated on how it goes!!

Take good care, 

J-

• Posted

I had them done and it eased the tinitus more than iporved hearing but it took away some of the pressure....we are all different so who knows but good luck..
    • Posted

I think the pressure/ tinnitus and dizziness are the worse symptoms for me, thank you for your support 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.