Managing CTS

Posted , 3 users are following.

There are many reports of failed surgery and regrets about undertaking it but are there others like me who are trying to manage it who would like to share experiences? Having been warned of severe pain and the possibility of permanent nerve damage am I taking too bigger risk?

At the moment night splinting plus physiotherapy and exercises are keeping me on a plateau. Would love to hear about how others are managing the condition and for how long they've been doing it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had my left hand done 18 months ago , and the right 12 months ago . The surgery was preformed by a nurse practitioner at the local health care centre . I have had no problems whatsoever , really glad I had them done . Total time for each one , from arriving , having the surgery and tea and biscuits after was�about 1 hour .
    • Posted

That's great to hear. It would be very interesting to know how long you had CTS for before opting for the surgical route. Also whether you had nerve conduction studies and what they showed in terms of severity. Did you have steroid injections or splint at night? Outcomes seem hard to predict sometimes as far as o can see. Thanks for sharing your positive experience.

• Posted

Tried splints and injections , neither helped . Didn't have nerve conduction studies . Put up with CTS for a couple of years before having surgery .

• Posted

I have been dealing with this since September. EMG indicated severe nerve damage. Being a RN has made my hands-on job more challenging and uncomfortable. Splinting during sleep and steroid injections have stopped the persistent tingling but the numbness continues. Hoping surgery and 4 weeks without work post-op get me back yo full function. Don't expect immediate relief and have heard from a colleague that she regretted the surgery for the first 2 weeks but is now glad she had it fixed.

• Posted

Thanks. Will stay involved in this forum because you get real life experience. Only 1 month until my repair. Need to check with my surgeon and hope I can have bilateral surgery so I only have to go through it one time. I'm sure first few days will be tough but hope things improve after the initial post-op period.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.