TKR Surgery Date

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well I finally got my date through for my TKR Surgery, 14th March, nervous but so positive about having the procedure done and getting on the road to recovery, this has been a real quick turnaround which I'm really surprised at.

I have been doing the exercises given in a DVD from the hospital and been going to the gym, I have to say the muscles are much improved from where they were 5 months ago, that can only be good news for a speedy positive recovery, watch this space! I'll be on here doing my daily diary of recovery, and probably crying my eyes out.

Will keep all you good people updated on how things go. Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and all your kind words..

xxx

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good news! You sound prepared and ready for your surgery. Remember that pain management is essential. When you pack for hospital, take your phone charger and extension cord. Someone is always here to listen. When I got discouraged and disappointed in my post op progress, I got great support. Keep us posted.
    • Posted

I found a "knee pillow" on Amazon. Pull on Knee Cushion, by Palli Partners. Not until you are out of the sleep brace, but when you are about a month post op. It is a miracle

• Posted

Hi Ellen

Just found this thread & your reply.

One question, what is a sleep brace? I barely had the old compression stocking, defo not a sleep brace.

Well spotted, the knee pillow. Will have to look out for.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

At the hospital I had to sleep with a leg brace. A soft fabric with stiff vertical bands. The whole thing stayed put with Velcro straps. Moving my leg was impossible, which is what my doctor wanted at night. I was so glad to be able to get rid of it after two weeks. Of course, then, moving was excruciating. Pillows between my legs. The knee pillow is fabulous. I wish I had it back at the beginning of this whole ordeal. I am in Maryland, and the leg brace might be just what my doctor uses.
    • Posted

Hello Ellen

Sorry for delay in answering, work was real 'loony toons' yesterday! I've been going through my son's gas bill today!!! Arghh!! It's like hitting your head against a brick wall only less pleasant!

Thank you for telling me about your leg brace, sounds like an instrument of torture! So glad I didn't have to wear that, sleeping was bad enough without! I used to listen to my iPod when I couldn't sleep.

I'm so pleased you have the knee pillow now, nothing worse than being unable to get comfortable in bed.

I'm in UK not heard of the use of a leg brace to wear at night, but there are so many people having this op just over here, who knows what is done in other Health Areas!?

I hope you are recovering well & getting back on your feet.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Good luck! And a speedy recovery. On Thursday I will be scheduling my left TKR as my right one will be 4 months on March 1st. Am still a little nervous as not looking forward to the pain. But wanting it over with. So best of luck to the both of us. Prayers to you!!
  • Posted

Hi Shirley Ann!

TRY to focus on how you will NOT have all the pain you have been having once you get your surgery. Outside of some pain from where they had placed the tourniquet, I didn't have a lot of discomfort after either one of my TKRs. I had a nerve block during surgery which was in for the first 24 hours, anesthesia during surgery, and some VERY EFFECTIVE Toradol by IV every four hours. Nurses are GREAT at making sure you are comfortable.

You will be up walking a bit by the next morning. It is challenging because you leg will probably feel like it weighs 1000 pounds, but that subsides once you get the hang of using your walker.

Your exercise done at the gym will pay off well as you move around in the hospital and with the physical therapists there and later on when you are discharged.

TRY to stay positive.

Write in your journal to remind yourself of your continued progress.

Reward yourself when you walk a little farther or get up and down easier from a chair.

Take deep breaths in and let the air out slowly.

Think about how much better you will feel in a week, two weeks, a month etc.

Keeping positive and taking care of yourself will help you find great success!

Sending prayers of calm, strength, and patience your way tonight!??

• Posted

Cheryl, such nice positive words, thank you so much, and I will indeed try very hard to stay positive, I am very much focused on my leg getting better, whether that takes 6 months or 16 months.

All the positive posts I have read on this forum help, it's of great comfort. xx

• Posted

I have my appointment tomorrow for tkr.  Can't say I'm not nervous but I will be glad to be on the other side of surgery and in the healing mode.  Good luck to you and keep on doing those exercises.  Guess the rehab is the key to success.  

• Posted

Good luck Duckfan,

I just got the news from NHS appointment put back a week😡 Another week to build more muscle, stay well, exercise much..

• Posted

Good luck for tomorrow Duckfan, I remember the butterflies of the night before. It'll soon be over.

Hope it goes well for you.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Shirleyann, sorry to hear you've been put back. I hope you get rescheduled soon.

Keep your chin up.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.